The Pit Stop in Ashlan Park

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
sgtstoner

The Pit Stop in Ashlan Park

Post by sgtstoner » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:58 am

I remember there was a slot car track behind Triple J's and I would go to every weekend.
Attachments
Pit stop Aug_22__1968_.jpg
Fresno Bee - Aug. 22, 1968 / Click to Enlarge

theace21

Re: The Pit Stop in Ashlan Park

Post by theace21 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:58 pm

The Pit Stop, great memories. We used to go to a Mexican restaurant, and while waiting for are food I would go watch the races. Fresno needs a place like this. These guys were serious

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:15 pm

My older brother Rick Parker (Hoover High '67) was determined I always had the fastest car. I did, but I was not always the best operator of the fastest car. Fun memories!

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Ah, the Pit Stop. My buddy Mike Cook and I stopped by often to dream about owning a slot car and racing there. Problem was we had no money for such an expensive toy/hobby. Then after a couple of years I had my sights on a pre-made racing slot car that was rumored to hold it's own on the track. Most of the fastest cars were custom made by their owners. I came very close to actually buying it but it would of taken every last cent that I had and in the end it never happened. The Pit Stop was a huge operation and I can still remember it like it was yesterday.
Attachments
Ashlan_Sep_1964_.jpg
Fresno Bee - Sept. 3, 1964 / Click to Enlarge

Scott Whitney

Post by Scott Whitney » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:43 pm

I used to race "slots" at Pit Stop all the time. Learned how to make my own chassis and rebuild/balance/wind motors. I was pretty fast, but a few others were faster. These basic electronic skills still serve me to this day. (saved thousands rebuilding the motor on my HVAC system) My wife used to race there also, but at the time we didn't know each other. Great memories.