Vintage Fresno Pictoria book by E. Eaton

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
orangeogre

Vintage Fresno Pictoria book by E. Eaton

Post by orangeogre » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:14 am

Most members of, and visitors to, this site will want a copy of the hardcover book "Vintage Fresno." A Pictorial Recollection by Edwin M. Eaton, Fresno-born in 1890, the book was published in 1965, by The Huntington Press, Fresno, California. The book is long out-of-print, but I bought a copy on eBay about six years ago.

Speak of your Lost Fresno, this volume goes back to the nineteenth century. The author was president of the Fresno Guarantee Building-Loan Association during the Great Depression. The book's first photo - from 1882 - is of the Fresno County Court House, on Mariposa Street. Among the many subjects in "Vintage Fresno" are M. Theo Kearney, Frederick Christian Roeding, Forkner's Fig Gardens, The Grand Central Hotel, The Barton Opera House, Fresno's Pedestrian Malls, Musical Clubs and The Fresno County Library.

Lost Fresno fans: Check eBay, as well as your favorite Rare Books stores. If you love this site, then "Vintage Fresno" is a must-have volume for your personal library.
Attachments
vintage-book.jpg
vintage-book.jpg (40.69 KiB) Viewed 12005 times

Big J

Re: Vintage Fresno

Post by Big J » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:24 pm

Seconded. Possibly the best book ever put out on Fresno

Sharlsie

Post by Sharlsie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:18 am

That is very cool! Is it possible to scan a few pages of it and post them to here so we can see?

mario2013moreno

Post by mario2013moreno » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:30 pm

I bought the edwin eaton estate 3 years ago, and it's mentioned in his book. I am looking for historical pictures of the estate, can anyone help. mario.moreno50@yahoo.com.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Also: his house that was built 1915 on franklin ave.

Mkmrrw

Re: Vintage Fresno Pictoria book by E. Eaton

Post by Mkmrrw » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:37 pm

I have a signed 1965 copy of this book if anyone interested txt/call at 702-470-9906