KYNO #1 Fresno!

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Johnny Morris

Re: KYNO #1 Fresno!

Post by Johnny Morris » Tue May 25, 2010 11:40 pm

How about KYNO DJ, Jay Lodon. He did dedications at night. I think about 1961

Post by Guest » Fri May 28, 2010 2:23 pm

I remember meeting Gary Dee at the KMAK studio on McKinley. I was terrified as he was a HUGE star at the time but he was a wonderful gentleman to us. I also remember the first night that the station introduced Fresno to the Beatles newest recording "Love Me Do". It was such a smash that the request lines were burned out and they played the song about a dozen times in an hour. It shot to #1 on its week one! What fun that was!

ExKynoJox

Post by ExKynoJox » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:15 pm

Does anyone remember what format KMAK changed to when they dropped Top 40. I know that Country followed, but I thought there was a format between those two.

jjjmom

Post by jjjmom » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:26 am

Hi ya! Any of these tunes bring back memories? They sure did for me. What ever became of Sam Schwan?
Attachments
boss30.jpg

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:25 am

I see Sam Schwan mentioned on this DJ line up from 1965. I definitely remember the name and Dick Carr was the other big name that rings a bell from my KYNO listening years.
Attachments
kyno-DJ-1965.jpg

Sharlsie

Post by Sharlsie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:01 am

Wow.....that list brought back so many memories! That is so cool!! I remember that I used to have this little transistor radio and at night I would put it under my pillow and listen to KYNO quietly so my parents couldn't hear it..

xcdd22

Post by xcdd22 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:43 pm

summer time in Fresno in 1965 and I had my transistor radio turned on - it was like 106 degrees that day. I was tuned to KYNO just like everybody else and then I heard it for the first time, I can't get NOOOOOOOOO, SAT-TIS-FAC-TION. Man, the Rolling stones and the number one hit of all time. And when KYNO had a hit, they would play it like every 5th song. The DJ would say, "By popular request" and again it would play. Seemed like it was endless that summer. Still love hearing it today. I bought a CD off eBay that has a 1960 KNYO broadcast on it, really cool.....

oc4rubys

Post by oc4rubys » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:02 pm

I totally remember DJ Danny Romero from KYNO coming to Sequoia Junior High Spring of '77 and telling us to be sure to listen that nite when he was going to shout out a surprise for us... I've totally forgotten the surprise tho. I do now get a kick outta seein' Danny doing the weather on channel 7 :-)

Bulldog406

Post by Bulldog406 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:14 am

That is really cool you found that disc on Ebay. My parents used to tell me about KYNO they were especially big fans of Dick Carr. I used to think it was so cool to hear my parents talk about those memories that were sparked by a simple radio station. Now that my kids have iPads and laptops I know that kind of passion probably won't come around again.

Rodney

Post by Rodney » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Things I remember:

--- Ron Jacobs commenting on his KYNO early morning counterpart: "Hear the one about the ugly duckling who grew up to be a big Schwan?"

--- Bob Morgan (who went on to radio stardom on KHJ in Los Angeles as Robert W. Morgan) doing his show in the nude for a week ("The World's Best-Dressed Nudist"). Apparently there was a regional nudist convention at a nudist camp outside Fresno one summer, so hence the stunt. Always wondered what the secretary thought...

--- The Frank Terry Drum-a-Thon. Frank went on to become a country-and-western DJ in San Francisco. OT, but I heard the last song he ever played in his career as a DJ: "Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goal Posts of Life" by Bobby Bare.

--- And of course the Kmake Kabaret on Channel 47 (I think) Friday afternoons. I went to one or two, saw Dick and Dee Dee lip sync "The Mountains High"
Attachments
kmake134.jpg