Starr's Ice Cream

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Flyboy

Starr's Ice Cream

Post by Flyboy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Who remembers Starr's Ice Cream? My parents would take us there about once a month for a special treat.
Wasn't it in the Clinton and Fresno area?

Re: Starr's Ice Cream

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:37 pm

Star's Ice Cream was located just south of Fresno street on Clinton Avenue were a Gas station is today. We would swim all afternoon at Fresno High or at the old pool at Fresno City College. A cone for 10 cents after a long swim day on a hot summer day had no equal. Thanks Mom for your provision.
Attachments
starrs ice cream.jpg

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:39 pm

Oops! That lot is WEST of Fresno street....

RAR

Post by RAR » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Starr's was terrific! My father was a big ice cream lover, and he loved their Rocky Road. We would go there on warm summer nights, buy the hand packed ice cream and take it home. This was either in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Clint Fowler

Post by Clint Fowler » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:22 pm

That was my grandfathers Ice cream Store. I don't remember it, but I was told stories.
Attachments
ice cream catering.jpg

Fraulein63

Post by Fraulein63 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Starr's Ice Cream was a special treat. I lived about half a mile from there. I remember how the ice cream was hand packed into square cardboard cartons.

Clipper cat

Post by Clipper cat » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:21 pm

My Dad was passionate about good ice cream, and a devotee of Starr's. Maraschino Cherry was his favorite. Starr made a Creme de Menthe which won my eternal devotion. Nice so many people recognized the high quality of this tiny place. Missing it is likely the reason I haven't eaten ice cream for many many years . . .

Voltaireman

Post by Voltaireman » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:17 pm

Starr’s Ice Cream
What wonderful special treat memories were made there! Chocolate chip was made not with chips but hunks of chocolate bars. And, if memory serves, New York was a (French?) vanilla base with cherry halves and pieces of walnuts. So good!

Clipper cat

Post by Clipper cat » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:19 am

Bonjour, Voltaireman! I posted earlier about my Dad's favorite Maraschino Cherry treat from Starr's .. . Your mention of the "New York" flavor strikes a chord--this was probably what Dad ordered. Ah, Memory!