Cherry Auction: The First & Finest Swap Meet

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
Christopher Stone

Cherry Auction: The First & Finest Swap Meet

Post by Christopher Stone » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Technically, it may have been the outskirts of Fresno, but I remember going to Cherry Auction on early Saturday mornings. To my memory, it was the First and Finest outdoor swap meet, ever. If it had ever existed in the San Joaquin Valley, I could find it at a bargain price at Cherry Auction. For all I know, Cherry Avenue Auction may continue to this very day.

*Note from admin: Newspaper clipping added from 1973 showing ad for Cherry Auction
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Mon__Oct_29__1973_.jpg
Fresno Bee - Mon. Oct. 29, 1973 - Cherry Auction

Grampa Jack

Re: Cherry Auction: The First & Finest Swap Meet

Post by Grampa Jack » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:16 am

In the early '80s, my hobby was raising rabbits. I would sell them to pet stores and through the newspaper. Any that I couldn't sell for pets or meat I would take to the Cherry Auction. Seemed that I was usually a bit hung over on the mornings I went there, but there was a screened off cafe there that sold the best menudo EVER. I would get a big bowl of that with the table dressings, and 15 minutes later....no hangover. There is a reason that menudo is usually only sold fresh on Saturday and Sunday mornings... to cure the result of Friday and Saturday drinking binges.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Yes the Cherry Auction is still active to this very day. They have it on Tuesdays and Sundays. It is now 99% mexican people sellind all kinds of cheap junk. Although, the food is very good!

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:20 pm

This is very cool. I left Fresno in 1973. I now live in Arizona. I remember going to Cherry Auction so many times in my life. In the mid 1960's I remember a converted house trailer that sold snow cones. They even had entertainment sometimes. There was another trailer that sold the best tamales you could ever taste. I went back in 2004, and while cruising near Easton I stopped when they had a car Swap Meet. It has changed like everything else. It is great it is still going. Not many Flea Market/Swap Meets any where. Oh yeah, I remember when it would get so cold and foggy, people would set up burn barrels with wood. You could get warm. Now days that is a no no. Thanks for a good post.

tom

Post by tom » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:56 pm

cherry auction is still running. when we went as kids they had to run the cows out so we could park across the street on cherry. there is a big parking lot now.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:45 am

Cherry Auction was/is a great place to find exotic automotive bits and pieces. We found "moon" style hubcaps for a vintage Studebaker pickup my man was restoring... on same trip, I found some amazing vintage duds for myself to wear IN that truck once we got it roadworthy again! Heavenly place to browse, dream, buy AND eat some superfood items too.

ruebers

Post by ruebers » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:41 pm

My aunt used to take my sister & I to the Cherry Avenue Auction early on Saturday mornings in the 1950's & 1960's. We would be given $1.00 to buy whatever we wanted which always included choosing something from the mystery grab bag and usually a used Nancy Drew book. Wonderful memories!