Blackstone Toy's R Us

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
mrduck77

Blackstone Toy's R Us

Post by mrduck77 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:29 am

I think that store was torn down or replaced with? Big time memories there while growing up. Checking out the nintendo games and, when younger, I fell in love with the big aisle of "Fun with Food" sets. For Christmas I ended up getting the hot dog cart, some fake groceries, and a "sizzling frying pan". When you walked in, you had to snake through the aisles on the left to get to the main part of the store. Board games and such were on the far left wall (that's the first time I saw a Ouija board by Parker Bros). In the middle of the stores was all the bikes and baby clothes stuff. Super awesome (heaven) place to visit as a kid. I believe the outside of the store had big vertical stripes and that giraffe?

Big J

Re: Blackstone Toy's R Us

Post by Big J » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:59 am

They never tore it down, they just gave the exterior an extensive facial. It's an Office Depot now. Barely recognizable on the outside, but the same high ceilings I remember inside. That place always amazed me. It felt like they had toys stacked 50 feet in the air!

Big J

Post by Big J » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:02 am

Exterior was similar to this...
Attachments
toys_r_us.JPG

Mistyvs

Post by Mistyvs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:37 pm

Yes, I remember that one. You had to walk down a long, rainbow corridor before the store opened up. The anticipation and then the excitement of your first view of the store was heaven!

ritchievalens

Post by ritchievalens » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:46 pm

That's where my parents bought me a tricycle. I must've been about 4 years old. I remember going there was such a big deal. I guess it would be to any kid!

JWfresno

Post by JWfresno » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:26 pm

The store was converted to a Whities Pet shop. I still remember the "Going out of Business" sale. My Dad bought my first electric train set there. So much memories.

thebattyfold

Post by thebattyfold » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:28 pm

I adored that Toys ‘R Us! I was riding my bike up there with my buddies from the time I was probably 10 years old (1982). I came all the way from the Bullard & Marks area, and it was always worth it. I bought many Atari games there, but after ‘86 it was all Nintendo. My friends were into G.I. Joe action figures around that time.

I also recall that the TRU went up in direct competition with the amazing Arthur’s Toys, where we went to buy toys forever before the TRU opened. If we had to stop at Handyman or the Kmart across the lot (or was it across the street?), we would beg my dad to take us to Arthur’s to get a toy.

abc124

Post by abc124 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:47 pm

I remember going to the grand opening. I met Darth Vader and got his autograph on a black and white 8x10.
That long wall when you first walked in seemed to go forever.