Sunnyside - "Largest Screen in the World"

~
Who could forget the fabulous Crest or the Tower Theater? Fresno’s drive-ins were the most popular with teens, among them the Moon-Glow and the Sunset. The world’s largest outdoor screen was housed at the Sunnyside Drive-in. Did you hide in the trunk to save 50 cents or possibly steam up the car’s windows? Share your old Fresno theater memories here.
~
MikeS1957

Re: Sunnyside Drive-In

Post by MikeS1957 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:58 pm

Saw a lot of movies there with my folks and then when I started driving in 73 with my girlfriend(s), well we didn't always watch the movies... My last GF/my wife and I played a silly game called Airplane there. Whoever spotted a plane called it. The winery across the street made for an interesting smell during grape harvest, yech. I still don't like wine.

Ladylinda248

Post by Ladylinda248 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:20 pm

What great memories of a Drive-In that should have never been torn down. Pacific Theaters had 2, the Sunnyside and the Woodward Park Drive In. Sitting in lawn chairs drinking sodas, eating pizza, and watching a movie was a great time on the weekends with friends and family.

took64a

Post by took64a » Mon May 11, 2015 3:24 pm

As I remember, Sunnyside was the only drive in that had heaters that you could hang on your windows along with the speaker! I attcahed an ad that states on the top" "ELECTRIC CAR HEATERS".This was huge because if it was winter and you went anyplace else, you had to start up the car motor every 30 minutes to warm the car back up. But along with the drive in staff wearing long white 1800's type motoring outfits with cap and goggles on their heads, the costumes AND the heaters went away after the first year. But still, that was one huge screen.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Sat__Oct_9__1965_.jpg
October 9, 1965 ad for heaters at Sunnyside

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Sunnyside - "Largest Screen in the World"

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon May 25, 2015 6:17 pm

I found this interesting archeology type find at the old Sunnyside Drive in site. They were looking for old coins but it is interesting to see how the old area looks today. Bleak to say the least. But I remember a better time when it was a wonderful event to go the the Sunnyside drive in.

Fresno2SoCal

Post by Fresno2SoCal » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:57 pm

I think I remember seeing Dawn of the Dead there. Halloween the original. Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

lol good times

Scott Whitney

Post by Scott Whitney » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:45 pm

At the height of their popularity, there were over 4,000 Drive-in theaters in the USA. Over time the land they occupied became more profitable than operating as a theatre. Many became housing tracts, business parks and shopping centers. A few years ago the movie industry went digital. More Drive-in theaters closed because the cost of upgrading the equipment didn't make financial sense.

Today there are about only 350 still operating. With the recent popularity of video steaming, I suspect the number will continue to dwindle. The Sunnyside, Starlite, Moonglow and Woodward are all gone. But the memories will always remain.

KarlJensen75

Post by KarlJensen75 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:54 pm

I grew up near Fowler and Kings Canyon, 75-86, but never actually went to the drive in out there. We moved to the north side after sixth grade and things have been downhill since then, lol. I have a bunch of other Sunnyside photos if anyone's interested, and more of these. (I also grabbed the "K" from the Marquee the day I was out taking these, of course, and still have it.) So there's my Sunnyside Drive in story. Cheers.
Attachments
SUN8.jpg
SUN3.jpg
SUN2.jpg

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:18 pm

That's some great historical photographs there, Karl! Very much appreciated for the fine share!

Richard Frey

Post by Richard Frey » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:24 am

The Sunnyside Drive In would have opened several years earlier, but for a tragic accident. While they were building the screen a worker was killed in an accident. Due to litigation, the whole project was delayed for quite some time.