Fresno's Origins?

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Fresno2SoCal

Fresno's Origins?

Post by Fresno2SoCal » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:48 am

Can somebody breakdown Fresno's origins? I have read somewhere that the birth of Fresno was in downtown near the rail yards, somewhere near the "best little city in the USA" sign. The city was originally a trading post. I have also heard that the city was founded near Millerton Lake and named after the abundant Ash Trees that surround the area. That was where the original city hall was located.

galactustrilogy

Re: Fresno's Origins?

Post by galactustrilogy » Thu May 02, 2019 9:31 pm

In May 1872, Edward H. Mix plotted the new town of Fresno in a classic grid. Blocks measured 320 by 400 feet with 20-foot alleys, and lots ranged from 25 to 150 feet. In 1873 a meeting was held and the result was Whites selected the east side of the railroad tracks and relegated other ethnicities and disreputables to the west side. The new town incorporated in 1885. (The term Westside has been used to mean Chinatown since then)

I was working on a project concerning Fresno's Chinatown, and found the above information in the "Chinatown Historic Resources Survey, City of Fresno Planning & Development Department report, 2006."

You are right about Millerton. I don't have the data in front of me, but if i recall correctly, immigrants, many of whom were Chinese laborers, lived around Millerton. When the railroad turned Fresno into a city, many of them moved to the west side of the tracks and essentially, Chinatown was born.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:07 pm

The orgin of Fresno is actually the old Southern Pacific Railroad Depot near Tulare and H streets. The current standing depot was built in 1889 replacing the original small wooden one built in 1872. Fresno County was actually named first, after the Ash trees that lined the San Joaquin River. When the Southern Pacific Railroad was built here the station was called "Fresno Station" after the County. As the town grew they dropped the "station" and just called it Fresno.

Fresno2SoCal

Post by Fresno2SoCal » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:04 pm

That would make sense about whites taking the east since all the water and access to the sierra nevadas are on the east side of the county.

Fresno2SoCal

Post by Fresno2SoCal » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:05 pm

Awesome, thanks!