Tower Theater

~
Who could forget the fabulous Crest or the Tower Theater? Fresno’s drive-ins were the most popular with teens, among them the Moon-Glow and the Sunset. The world’s largest outdoor screen was housed at the Sunnyside Drive-in. Did you hide in the trunk to save 50 cents or possibly steam up the car’s windows? Share your old Fresno theater memories here.
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Tower Theater

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:04 am

This photo was taken in 1987 when the Theater had just completed a restoration. They had a special event to honor the original architect: S CHARLES LEE who is 89 years old in this picture. The Tower Theater's owner, Dotty Abbate, presented Mr. Lee with a medallion which commemorated his contributions to art deco design.
Attachments
tower charles crowe.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:12 pm

From the "I wish I had thought of that" file, we see this early promo of the Tower Theater. Here, we are informed of the birth of Patricia Carol and she weighed 7 pounds, 1 ounce. She stared in the Premiere Showing of "A Daughter". Kinda cute, for 1946!
Attachments
tower theater baby promo.jpg
Click to Enlarge
tower theater baby promo top.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Richard Frey

Post by Richard Frey » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:35 am

I was raised one block west of Fresno HI and just about every Saturday morning my brother and I would ride our bikes to the Tower Theater to watch the program just for kids. There were cartoons, funny films like Abbott and Costello or the Three Stuges and, of course, a western serial that ended each week with a cliff hanger. I also remember one time I got to go into the projection booth where the operator explained how he switched from one projector to the other. Several years ago I attended an event there and when I went to the men's bathroom, what I saw was exactly what was in use in the early 1950's when I was a kid. I never got back stage, but there is a complete stage and dressing rooms for the performers.