Old Farmers Market on Divisadero

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Old Farmers Market on Divisadero

Post by Lost Fresno » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:50 pm

I can remember seeing this exact ad for Rustigans Iran Restaurant, every afternoon when I read the newspaper. However, our family was spoiled because we were good friends with a family that often sent my Father home with yummy Armenian rice pilaf. Thank you Ms. Bagosian! I sure miss the original Farmers Market, that food court was well ahead of it's time!
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Fri__Mar_6__1970_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee, March 6, 1970

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:25 am

This ad for the Farmer's Market is from a 1949 brochure called V-J Celebration. Gives us a good idea of the original stores.
Attachments
farmers market 1949.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Johnroswell

Post by Johnroswell » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:39 pm

I remember as a kid eating there all the time. I lived in an apartment complex right across the street. I spent so much time there that most of the shop owners and restaurantuers knew me. I would do little odd and end things for free food, toys, magazines, etc. I loved the Mexican food place, the Hawaiian shaved ice place, the little arcade and they had a Baseball Card shop right outside of the NE exit of the building. I also miss the collectable card shows and different trade shows/ craft fairs they would have in the big open area on the east side of the complex. I wish someone had photos of that place.

clselland

Post by clselland » Wed May 12, 2021 10:04 am

I used to work as a janitor at the Farmers Market from 73-75 when I was at Fresno High School. Rossi’s was my go to place. Loved the calzones. Mr and Mrs Rossi were classic. Fun fact The old Farmers Market was a meeting place for gay Fresnans well before most came “out”.

Post by Guest » Mon May 17, 2021 12:47 am

Does anyone know the name of an Asian restaurant that served sweet , wide rice noodles with peanuts? Possibly Thai cuisine? This would have been in the 80's. Back when I was a child and unaware of the difference between Asian cultures.