Huntington Boulevard/SE Fresno/Fairgrounds

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Fresno2SoCal

Huntington Boulevard/SE Fresno/Fairgrounds

Post by Fresno2SoCal » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:40 pm

I've always been curious about the older parts of Fresno like Huntington Bl. and the Fresno Fairgrounds. Who lived in that area? What was it like, pre 1980.

I assume it was the Van Ness extension of it's day, a bit snooty.

Re: Huntington Boulevard/SE Fresno/Fairgrounds

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:33 pm

I grew up in the area (late fifties through the sixties). Nice area then, and safe. We rode our bikes up and down Huntington. Van Ness Extension was considered the more "upscale" area. The Fairgrounds area was more lower middle-class. This entire section of town you're asking about had been a big Armenian community for decades.

Fresno2SoCal

Post by Fresno2SoCal » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Guest, thanks for your reply. Since Valley Medical Center was right there, I would have imagined that many doctors and other medical personnel lived on Huntington Boulevard. I know for a fact they were sprinkled in the SE Fresno/Roosevelt/Rowell area when it was like Mayberry USA.

Do you know when the Van Ness extension started to be built?

bill akers

Post by bill akers » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:21 pm

and do not forget all about sliding down the hill on a piece of cardboard either at the fairgrounds. way too much fun and it was free.