The ORIGINAL DiCicco's Pizzeria at 530 Blackstone

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

The ORIGINAL DiCicco's Pizzeria at 530 Blackstone

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:46 am

Yes there are quite a few DiCiccos' Restaurants in Fresno but I have fond memories of the original and very first DiCicco's Pizzerira which was located at 530 Blackstone. On a recent visit to Fresno, I decided to once again have a pizza at the scene of my favorite teenager "date night" location. I was excited to see that the DiCiccos website listed their original location as still alive and well on Blackstone near downtown. So the Wife and I plus two good friends headed to that much loved location. After all, we had called on the phone and they said to come on over!

Below is what we saw.

The original spot the the pizzeria once stood had become a victim of the new freeway in 1971 or so. However, we motored down another few hundred yards and found their "newer" restaurant which was almost like going to the original site being only a stones throw away.

However, on the side of the building we saw in large letters: THE ORIGINAL ... SINCE 1956

It seemed to proclaim that this building was their original location, but I knew better as the old building has been Lost to Fresno!
Attachments
DiCiccos 530 Blackstone.jpeg
530 Blackstone

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: The ORIGINAL DiCicco's Pizzeria at 530 Blackstone

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:08 pm

Here is an early newspaper ad from 1965 referencing the 530 Blackstone location.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Sat__Dec_25__1965_.jpg
Fresno Bee - Dec. 15, 1965

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Here are some shots of the miss-leading sign on the exterior and also the infamous street sign. The sign is most likely the very same one from the 50/60's era. Finally, a shot of some happy pizza eaters.
Attachments
diciccos_1952.jpg
diciccos_1.jpg
dicicco_2.jpg

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:10 pm

I forgot to include the framed photo of the original dinning room that currently hangs above the waitress food pick-up area. I understand that the fire marshall would not let them re-hang all the old wine cask bottles and fake grapes from the ceiling. Too bad as that lent so much atmosphere to the original place.
Attachments
diciccos3.jpg

thebattyfold

Post by thebattyfold » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:44 pm

Very cool. I always remember the "Boot of Italy" sign that the DiCiccos had, however we rarely went up to the Blackstone restaurant for dining. I seem to recall going to one on Shaw at some point in my childhood. Later, we frequented LaRocca's, Aldo's Pizza, and Popolo's (on N. Blackstone).

I grew up across the street from the DiCicco family for the first 10 years of my life. We grew up in the "New" Fig Garden area close to Bullard and Van Ness Extension. I didn't see too much of Mr. DiCicco, but my older brothers (who were born in the 60s) probably did. I know they were friends with the older kids like Maria and Carlos. The younger boy was of course Pepino. They would play in the street and come over to our lawn. It was always fun seeing the other kids of the neighborhood, and always exciting to have a family meal at DiCiccos!

thebattyfold

Post by thebattyfold » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:52 pm

Forgot to add this great pic I snapped while I was visiting for my 20 year reunion.
fullsizeoutput_de.jpeg
Sep. 26, 2010 - DiCicco's on Blackstone, Fresno, CA.

Bobbalu

Post by Bobbalu » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:27 pm

I remember from the outside you could see them tossing a pizza, wow. Also one of the chefs would sing! Better than the concert We just attended!