Old Farmers Market on Divisadero

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Old Farmers Market on Divisadero

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:47 pm

I've read some posts about the old Farmers Market and I was sad to hear that it's gone. But then so many things are gone that I loved as a child, and of course that's why we call it "Lost Fresno" here. It was almost magical walking into the large open court yard with it's high peaked roof made out of skylights so that it felt like you were outside. And the smells from all the different food vendors who make you hungry even if you weren't before you arrived. My favorite one was the bar-b-que place.
Attachments
The_Farmers_Market_Shopping_Village_(81747).jpg
Click to Enlarge / Postcard of the Farmers Market

CapitolHillRat

Re: Old Farmers Market on Divisadero

Post by CapitolHillRat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:50 pm

I remembered Old Farmers Market. I used to go there with family when I was a kid. My fave was spaghetti with big meatball. Oh and remember the cinnamon roll place? They should of kept the Old Farmers Market there.

slocal

Post by slocal » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Yes, they knocked it down many years ago and put up a Staples. I grew up just a flew blocks away. It was a horrible neighborhood and the only shining light was Farmer's Market. BBQ Beef Round Up is still around. They're up on Blackstone somewhere near Dan Gable's. Dai Ichi (Awesome rice bowls!) is now located in north Fresno. I now live on the central coast, but I still travel to Fresyes for family.

chicagojeff

Post by chicagojeff » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:28 am

Definitely sad to hear that the Farmers Market is gone. I cannot count how many times my family and friends would go there before the Fresno Falcons games on Friday and Saturday nights from 79 to 86. I had my favorites like the BBQ joint, the Dai Ichi rice bowls, and there was a hot dog stand there also. Magazine stand in the small bookstore had all the new magazines, comics, and The Hockey News. Every once in awhile there would actually be an arcticle in there about the Falcons, another sad loss for the city of Fresno. Nothing will take away those good times.

Big J

Post by Big J » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:39 pm

What was the name of the newsstand? Also trying to recall the name of the hot dog joint there as well. My memories of the Farmers Market are restricted to early in life, going with my dad all the time at age 3-5 or so, then probably never setting foot in the place again until 1989, when I attended a baseball card show there. Don Drysdale was there, which was great. I don't think the center was open too long after that.

McLane 1971

Post by McLane 1971 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:34 pm

The hot dog stand was Richie's Good Dogs!
Attachments
farmers market investment.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - May 14, 1953

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:32 am

I'm trying to remember all the eating spots in the outdoor pavilion next to Mayfair at the Farmers Market. Some great posts above mention a few listed below. Please add to this list if you can:

1. Mayfair Market (It was the anchor store).
2. Roundup Bar BQ (open today at another location).
3. Rossi's Italian (open today at another location).
4. Dai Ichi Rice Bowl (open today at another location).
5. Riches Good Dogs.
6. Magazine stand name?

Big J

Post by Big J » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Did they eventually move them indoors or put a roof on? I frequented in the early 80's and don't recall them being outdoors.

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:21 pm

House of Kebob.

gesparza

Post by gesparza » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Anybody seen any pics of the interior of farmers market? My brother did a mural of the old building (city hall?) and all the old mayors. There was one small wall on Safeway side. My brother passed away and was very proud of it. Would love to find a pic.