Gong's Market

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
LisaMarquise

Re: Gong's Market

Post by LisaMarquise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:28 pm

My grandparents lived near Awahnee Jr, High off First St. We used to go to Gong's. I remember I loved the sign!

staffero

Post by staffero » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:46 pm

My best friend Sue Gong's Dad owned the one on Whitesbridge. She'd have to work there after school, so she joined every function possible to keep her at school. If it was something for school, her Dad wouldn't make her work. We had lots of fun. Still do!

Marcie

Post by Marcie » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:06 pm

My mother, Linda work for gongs as a cashier. I'm sure it was between 1974ish. We lived behind the store just a few blocks away. My brother and I would go see her at work and hang out. I remember the family being very kind to us and my mom liking them a lot.

GregoryP.

Post by GregoryP. » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:24 pm

I have fond memories of Gong's Market. Also of the Gong family. We lived by the Ashlan store when I was just about four years old. Later moving near the First and Bullard store. I worked as a bag boy. Jane and my Mom were good friends. Frank was a great boss and Tom loved to tease me. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Brett G

Post by Brett G » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:30 am

I remember Tommy Gong and the store very well. We shopped there all of the time being as we lived on Lansing Way so it was close. I seem to remember they ran tabs and wasn't there some friendly poker games? The sign was so cool and easy o see. I would walk to Gongs all of the time and I could see that sign at a distance and knew how close I was getting. Remember P&J Liquor? Was that the name of the liquor store. I think it was for Pete and Nancy.

Brett

ogunujohn@yahoo.com

Post by ogunujohn@yahoo.com » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Oh,my! I was just looking to see if the Gong markets were still running. My name is John, and my brother and I rented one of Frank and Tom's buildings there on the corner of First and Bullard. The building was a bicycle shop - right next to that ice cream (can't remember the name of it, but it's famous) shop. Let me tell you, daughter, that Frank and Tom were two of the most upright, generous and kind people I have ever met. They rented that place to us for only $400 a month because they wanted us to succeed. They used to come in for a little chat once in a while to see how we were getting along. They even gave us tips on how to succeed in our business. By golly, we loved those 2 guys. When we bought the business it was called Ye Olde English Bicycle Shop. Ha-ha, we got a laugh out of how it was pretty difficult to answer the phone and say "Ye Olde English Bicycle Shop". We re-named it The Bike Route.

I think about those 2 men a lot, and I'd like to tell you what I think the whole Gong family must be pretty good folks. -- Oh, I forgot to mention that we also repaired lawnmowers along with bicycles. Will you please tell them that you met me? Thanks a lot, dear. My email is ogunujohn@yahoo.com
Baskin and roberts? The ice cream shop. Oh no, Robbins??

1christone1

Post by 1christone1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:38 pm

I certainly remember Gong's at Fresno and Ashlan, within easy walking distance from my home on East Swift Avenue.

Fresburger

Post by Fresburger » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:37 pm

I remember the neon sign of the guy hitting the bong. I'm sure druggies will misunderstand my description! Lol!
Attachments
gongs.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - Nov. 1970

Post by Guest » Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 pm

I was friends with Paul Gong in 4th grade in like 1979 at Baird Elementary. He said his parents owned Gongs Market. I went to Awanahee middle school too. First and Bullard right? Wow, long time ago. Thanks for the pictures whoever provided them, that's awesome.

Post by Guest » Thu May 14, 2020 10:36 pm

What's up Paul Gong? It's Dennis with the trumpet