The Crest Theatre and restoring the marquee

~
Who could forget the fabulous Crest or the Tower Theater? Fresno’s drive-ins were the most popular with teens, among them the Moon-Glow and the Sunset. The world’s largest outdoor screen was housed at the Sunnyside Drive-in. Did you hide in the trunk to save 50 cents or possibly steam up the car’s windows? Share your old Fresno theater memories here.
~
hotelfresno

The Crest Theatre and restoring the marquee

Post by hotelfresno » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:32 am

I am currently working with the owners of The Crest Theatre on their social media/marketing and they are trying to raise funds to restore the marquee, as well as the interior/exterior of the building. They will be having benefit concerts to raise the money. What are some events that would bring you back to The Crest Theatre? What are some of your memories there? If anyone has any personal photos that you would be willing to share, we would appreciate it so much! Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Kyle@2010

Re: The Crest Theatre and restoring the marquee

Post by Kyle@2010 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:51 am

The last movie I saw at The Crest Theater was The Wiz with Michael Jackson and Diana Ross.

AppleGlenn

Post by AppleGlenn » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:31 am

I use to go there all the time when I was a little girl. I remember once I lost my red scarf and the next time I went, I saw it lying on the back counter. It was my red scarf! But, I was too young to understand that I only had to open up my mouth and tell someone that the red scarf was mine. I just walked away after I got my popcorn and soda.

Another time, I saw "Tales From The Crypt" and it scared me so much that I had to leave the theater. I stood in the hall, near the door and I would peak in to see what was going on. It was the story of the 3 wishes that made me leave.

Memories! I miss Crest. I wanna go back.

frodoboy

Post by frodoboy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:22 pm

hotelfresno wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:32 am
I am currently working with the owners of The Crest Theatre on their social media/marketing and they are trying to raise funds to restore the marquee, as well as the interior/exterior of the building. They will be having benefit concerts to raise the money. What are some events that would bring you back to The Crest Theatre? What are some of your memories there? If anyone has any personal photos that you would be willing to share, we would appreciate it so much! Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)
Old post but maybe you are still interested. My grandfather's sign company put up the Crest theater sign as well as the Warner's and Tower Theater signs. They all owed him money, so every Saturday, my brother, best friend and I would be dropped off by my mother or Uncle and they went off to "cruise the main" on Fulton street. We would watch the Saturday morning science fiction movies. There were usually two plus cartoons and maybe a serial or two. My grandfather would give us our 50 cent allowance and I remember we could buy a soda, popcorn and candy for that. We'd always get in for free and get to sit in the loge. Fun times! I do have an old photo of it.
Crest_Theatre.jpg
Crest_Theatre.jpg (64.8 KiB) Viewed 2779 times