Continental Grocery Store

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
mrduck77

Continental Grocery Store

Post by mrduck77 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:10 am

Hello there. Does anyone remember Continental market (grocery store) on Blackstone. I think it was replaced by Vons later on. Me and my dad would go shopping there a lot. They used to have a turn-style on the right side when you walked in. In front of that (east side of store from entry point) was a bunch of Sale bins with canned food, ect. I believe the meat section was on the east side wall of it as well. Frozen foods was in the middle? I think the floor was like a greenish tile and, of course, the had a couple candy machines near the front door. Best place to grocery shop (and Dad loved their big pies there). Anyone have pics or fond memories of this place?

dulcie

Re: Continental Grocery Store

Post by dulcie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:35 am

Here's a great research site to find the exact location of a favorite old store:

http://www.groceteria.com/place/califor ... 1925-1999/
Attachments
former safeway fresno.jpg
former safeway fresno.jpg (47.72 KiB) Viewed 21191 times

Big J

Post by Big J » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 pm

I remember it! The Vons that remains there did indeed replace it. Great store. My family mostly went to Gong's on Fresno and Ashlan, but Continental was a neat old store too.

christone

Post by christone » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:41 pm

I remember Continental, too. Mom shopped there when I was a child. For Fresno, it was somewhat upscale.

Roadhouse

Post by Roadhouse » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Yes,,,,, it was an Awesome store... The store Owner\Manager was my neighbor in Fresno. George. Great person and awesome cook. Miss the store and his family. Anthony

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:51 pm

After Continental shut down, Vons came in and now Von's is gone. An Oriental Market went in after Vons, but now they are gone and it is empty...

Rosalyn22

Post by Rosalyn22 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:22 am

Yes! I was JUST talking about this store last night! I had a random flashback of the bins in the store and could not think of the name, but remembered it was the previous store to Vons. I tried explaining it to my brother since he remembers quite a bit. Low and behold I look online again and see this post! Thank you for helping me remember the name!

Osandad

Post by Osandad » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:25 pm

An aunt lived there on Glenn and recall shopping at Continental. My first Burger King and Weinerschnitzel experience was there. I recall Red Carpet Car Wash too!

Michael3314

Post by Michael3314 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:30 am

I worked at Continental Market all through college. What a great store. Lots of friends made there. Lots of good memories. I’ll have to look and see if I can find my photos from back then.