Lesterburger

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
foodaddict

Re: Lesterburger

Post by foodaddict » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:29 pm

Does anyone know how to make Lester's burger sauce, that's what made the burger rock.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Sat May 30, 2015 9:17 am

This ad makes me smile, Lester even whore a sombrero to drum up some business! And who could beat a taco for 19 cents? Also noteworthy is at this point in time, he had expanded to 6 locations.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republic.jpg
Fresno Bee - May 16, 1969 - Lesterburger ad

sewhoppy

Post by sewhoppy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:30 am

Lester Lindley is my grandmother Esther ' twin brother. We used to go there all the time... my oldest brother worked at the one across the street from McClane high school. He also knows the real recipe for Lester sauce

Lmatch

Post by Lmatch » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:16 am

Hi!

I'm doing research for a family member who has fond memories of working at Lester Burger. *Is* the sauce recipe available to the public, and more importantly, is there anywhere at all where I may buy a piece of memorabilia? Be it a cup, or anything at all?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

Fleetcomm

Post by Fleetcomm » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:15 am

Do I remember the location correctly?

I want to say I went to the Lesterburger at the NE corner of Cedar & Tulare across from Roosevelt HS? On the NW corner was Tulare - Cedar Market until they closed up & tore it down for a gas station around 1966? There was A&W Root Beer on Tulare & Eighth Street too.

Clovis_Guy

Post by Clovis_Guy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:35 pm

I believe there also used to be one at Shaw and Cedar on the SE corner.

Highflyer1956

Post by Highflyer1956 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:09 pm

Someone asked if anyone knew how to make the Lesterbuger sauce. I work for Les in 73 & 74 at Cedar and Clinton and I made the sauce many times. Three parts ketchup and one part mustard with pickle juice for flavor.

visitor

Post by visitor » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:51 pm

I grew up by the Lesterburger at Cedar and Ventura. I was only 7yrs old in 76, but I remember they had the first video game I ever played. It was some sort of rudimentary trivia game. I'm pretty sure I didn't make that memory up. Anybody else remember it?

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:43 am

Below is the obituary of Les Lindley.

Les was born on March 8, 1936, in Visalia, CA, and passed away on Saturday, February 7, 2004, with his loving family at his side. He was preceded in death by his parents, Lester and Marie Lindley. Les is survived by his wife of 42 years, Marguerite; children, Suzanne of Huntington Beach, David of Fresno, Jim of Corona Del Mar, and Laurie of San Diego. Les graduated from Fresno High School in 1954, and went on to earn a B.S. degree in business administration from Fresno State College in 1958. While in college, Les was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon and continued his support for the fraternity over the years. After graduating, he founded the locally famous hamburger chain Lesterburgers. His television commercials made famous the slogans "lettuce eat it" and "put a yummy in your tummy".

Les enjoyed many activities and adventures. One of his favorite pastimes was traveling throughout the country in his motor home gathering information for his genealogy book. Les enjoy- ed planning and organizing events that reunited people. He recently organized a reunion for his sixth grade classmates at Roosevelt Elementary School in Bakersfield. Les was also instrumental in the planning of several Fresno High School Class of 1954 reunions. He enjoyed summers at his beach home in Malibu and vacationing in the mountains at Wishon Lake with his family. Les was an avid sports fan and was especially passionate about the Fresno State Bulldogs. He had not missed a home football game since 1963.

He was also an active member and fundraiser of the Bulldog Foundation for over 46 years. Les was an advocate for children and adults with autism after his son David was diagnosed in 1966. He was founding president of the Central California Chapter of the Autism Society of America in 1972. His accomplishments were many but his greatest was being a loving husband and father, and a true friend to the many people whose lives he touched. He will be deeply missed.