Fulton Mall Trolley from the early mall years

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
DrMillerPHd

Fulton Mall Trolley from the early mall years

Post by DrMillerPHd » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi Gang. When the Fulton Mall was open for just a few years, they ran a electric trolley up and down its length and the price was FREE! I hopped on it one or twice, did you?
Attachments
Fulton_trolly.jpg

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Fulton Mall Trolley from the early mall years

Post by Lost Fresno » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:48 pm

Greetings Doctor. Why yes I did and so did my friends. Please play the YouTube video below to see a very wild ride down the mall. Well OK, we never picked up much speed come to think of it but the gal with the pill box hat was cute.

Big J

Post by Big J » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:02 pm

Curious how long this lasted...clearly it was for quite a while. I recall hopping on it with my Grandmother a couple of times in what would have been 1979-80.

Fresno46

Post by Fresno46 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:38 pm

How long did the Trolley last? I left Fresno in 1964.

Clipper cat

Post by Clipper cat » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:57 am

I'm old enough to remember the Mall's dedication "ceremony". My mom and I were regular Saturday shoppers on Fulton, and rode the little jitneys (NOT Trollies, as I recall) once the renovation was completed. By the mid-1970s the mall had lost its luster. Once during the 1990s I attended a job-related conference in Frez. During the noon break I conned a co-worker into visiting the mall. It was scary bad--mostly closed storefronts and jerry-rigged food stands, the once vaunted art work dirty, damaged, and uncared for. Not a single one of my favorite stores (Rodders, Berkeleys, Luftenbergs Fabrics, Coopers, Kays ,Gottschalks, and more) had survived. The inevitable death of mall-shopping had taken its toll.