A store in Fashion Fair in the 1970s

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
mkw

Re: A store in Fashion Fair in the 1970s

Post by mkw » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:53 pm

The Wearhouse was where I bought all my clothes in the early to mid 70's . It was on the east end of the Mall, next to Weinstock's . Primo location since you could enter direct from the parking lot too. Two older Armenian ladies ( who looked and acted as if they were sisters ) always worked there- never sure if they were the owners , but I would think so since they were there all the time , helping younger store staff.

Drakonyx

Post by Drakonyx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:58 pm

I remember Coffee's being in that part of the mall. As a kid, I thought it was funny that a clothing store would be named Coffee's. I though that must mean there was also a coffee shop someplace that sold men's clothes.

ipapples

Post by ipapples » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:36 pm

I found my bf a really neat tie today at a thrift store. 1970 Wearhouse Fresno
Attachments
1970 wearhouse tie.jpg

ralwla

Post by ralwla » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:49 pm

I am trying to figure out the name of a Children's Store that was just outside of Penney's on the South Side of the mall. It was there in the late 1970's and early 1980's. It was across from Walter Smith's I think. It was a children's clothing store with a shoe department in the middle. A dark haired gentlemen would measure the kids feet for proper fit. This was before Kartan's Kid's Stuff opened on First and Bullard.

Big J

Post by Big J » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Youngsters!
Attachments
youngsters.jpg

arfire75

Post by arfire75 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:11 pm

Some I remember from the 1970's-80's are Jarman, Kinney Shoes, Hickory Farms, Carl's Jr., B. Dalton Bookseller, Video Arcade, Sees Candies, Baskin Robbins, Harvest House Coffee Shop, Weinstock's, Gottschalks, Kaufman's, Hungry Bear Cookies(in Gottschalks), a sit-down restaurant in Gottschalks but can't remember name, Woolworth's, Miller's Outpost, Swatch Watch store, Orange Julius, JCPenney, Youngsters, The Wearhouse, KB Toys, Waldenbooks, the original Food Court, DeVons Jewelers, Radio Shack, Hallmark Shop, Wurlitzer, the large Clock modeled after Grand Central Station's in NYC that hung over the fountain near the interior Gottschalks interior entrance.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:56 am

Back to school time to me meant my Mom spending big bucks on a new winter coat, pants, shirts and basically a wardrobe upgrade. Thank you Mom!
Attachments
youngsters.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - April 4, 1965

Lionsden

Post by Lionsden » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:31 am

The specific one talked about was The Wearhouse for men-positively -

Lionsden

Post by Lionsden » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:37 am

Pickwick books in the '70's before Waldenbooks. But I go WAY back. I hadn't thought of Jarman (boots, shoes?) until you brought that up. Remember Glenkamp shoes?

FresnoNativeInLA

Post by FresnoNativeInLA » Tue May 23, 2023 1:59 am

Alonso wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:26 pm
I think I know the store. It was the Wearhouse. It was a men's boutique store with very unique clothing for men. Two very old ladies used to work there as clerks. I bought a cool shirt there just before they closed.
Yes The Wearhouse was sophisticated Mod at the time and seemed out of character from the two ladies running it.