Munchy's Burger

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Yreka

Re: Munchies Burger

Post by Yreka » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:06 pm

We lived on Floradora St just south of McKinley and my younger brother worked at Munchies, I remember at the end of his shift at times would bring home a great big greasy bag of Munchie bugers and we would chow down.

Klassik57

MUNCHY'S (Munchies?)

Post by Klassik57 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:49 am

Does anyone remember eating hamburgers at Munchies? It was located about a half block north of McKinley Ave. on First St. The hamburgers there were 12cents and they were really good! My old boyfriend and I would be riding our bikes to a friends house almost every weekend, and we'd stop there on the way. I remember well that we could get 2 burgers and french fries for under $.50! People used to joke about what kind of meat they were using (horse?) and I think they may have had some soy in them but they were really good.

Charles Omstead

Re: Munchy's Burger

Post by Charles Omstead » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:49 pm

I worked at Foster Freeze at ninth and Ventura across Ninth from Munchie burger. We bought munchie burgers took the home and put more stuff on them. Before Munchie Burger there was a bar called the Jolly Inn there. The Hells Angeles hung out there.

Fresburger

Re: MUNCHY'S (Munchies?)

Post by Fresburger » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:19 pm

I'm pretty sure it was Munchies. There was also one on Ventura between First and Cedar. This was about 1971 or so and as a ten year old kid my freinds and I used to beg my brother to drive us there. We all loved the burgers and of corse the price!

sjvalleydave

Re: Munchies Burger

Post by sjvalleydave » Fri May 13, 2016 2:59 pm

Norm Christensen owned the Munchies at 1st and McKinley for awhile, he opened up Norm's at Shaw and Blackstone and also bought Clawson Boats, which and a Honda dealership, and morphed into Clawson Honda, which he sold in 1975.

Munchie fan

Munchy's Burger

Post by Munchie fan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:41 pm

The best part of the Munchie burger was the sauce which made it taste rather delicious.
It was a creamy mustard with a hint of hickory smoke and in 40 years I have not tasted anything as good.
We were kids when Mom drove down to First and McKinley to get them. We miss the burgers but have the great memories!

Valley guy

Post by Valley guy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:34 pm

I was just telling my family about this place. They could not believe that burgers were only 12 cents. I remember my grandparents buying 2 bag fulls to feed all the grandchildren that were at their home for the summer. Great memories!

TopDog5450

Post by TopDog5450 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:51 am

Munchy's also had locations outside of Fresno. I used to work at a Munchy's (Munchies) in San Francisco in 1971-1972. They sold burgers made of soy and cost about 15 cents a burger. High school and junior high school students used to swarm the joint buying Munchy burgers. Considering all the talk about Beyond Burger and Impossible Burger making plant-based food, I think that Munchy's was making and selling soy burgers long before those companies started selling their products.

Channyn

Post by Channyn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm

Munchy Burgers in Fresno CA used to be made with beef spleen
My dad looked out back in their dumpster one day to see what was in those $.10 cent burgers!
He found boxes marked ‘Beef Spleen’.
They tasted good to us kids, even tho my mom wouldn’t touch them