The old Fresno Falcons

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
Big J

Re: The old Fresno Falcons

Post by Big J » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Anytime - Most of what I have is later 70's and into the 80's, and my collection is rather slim, but I'm always happy to show it off. I've been scavenging for several years for Falcons related items from the old days and haven't unearthed much other than programs and a puck or two. Lots of unanswered questions for me about those days, how the league was set up, etc. Would love to talk or email sometime about it.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 am

I went to a number of games in the late 80s and loved all of them. Back then, the big stars were Esko and Reyno Siipola (sp?). I loved the chain-linked fence and the fact that the ushers would let us kids go down to the ice and the players would give us a puck. The games were well-attended and we didn't care that it wasn't "professional." And Selland Arena had a great atmosphere. I can still remember the cold air and smell of nacho cheese...

theace21

Post by theace21 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:48 pm

If I remember correctly, the first year or two they were called the Fresno Aces. We had seats in the front row. The goalie ? Green, gave me his stick on the last game of the year...Anybody remember them be called the Aces? I probably have a program or 2 hanging around. And yep, I still have the goalie stick...

TheFresnoKid

Post by TheFresnoKid » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:01 pm

I was an east coast transplant in the 80's and used to travel from Monterey to Fresno just to see a Falcons hockey game. The guy in the pro shop at the ice rink in the San Jose mall originally turned me onto the Falcons and he used to play goal for them. Stepping into Selland arena was like stepping back in time. The fencing around the boards instead of plexiglass made for an amazing throwback experience and the hockey was hard nosed and competitive, I was instantly hooked. I still have some old programs and a puck but have tried for years to find an old jersey without luck. I used to like taking the trip down to San Diego to catch the Gulls games also. Back then they had some big names who came to play and it was a great time for hockey in California prior to Gretzky arriving and the awful Mighty Ducks. I still enjoy minor league hockey even today but nothing could compare to the days of Selland arena and the Fresno Falcons.

Big J

Post by Big J » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:15 am

They were indeed the Aces during the very first year. I'd love to see a scan of those programs if they turn up. I've wondered for a long time what colors the Aces wore...do you remember? Never seen a color photo.

Big J

Post by Big J » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Bumping this up...I'm working on a long term research project/archive of the old Falcons teams from the 60's/70's and 80's. If anyone has any old items related to the team, or knows where some of the old stuff ended up (the arena banners, the championship trophy, the uniforms) - this stuff is fascinating to me and I'd love to chat with you. Please post here if you have anything/know anything/know anyone. Thanks!

vancemit

Post by vancemit » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:57 pm

if you could track down a guy named al geller he was one of the owners of the falcons back in the 80's i used to date his daughter sherry for a short time, they lived over on van ness between mckinley and clinton, geller was really a jerk or maybe he just didn't like me, i was kind of a jerk back then too, anyway he was really tight with a buck and probably kept everything he could regarding the falcons come to think of it he might even be gone to the great beyond by now that was a long time ago but anyways i still live in fresno after spending about a decade in both washington state and in arizona i came back here because of family but my childhood was spent at the falcon games and as somebody else mentioned i remember reino and esko siepola, the way the announcer said those two names over the loudspeakers in selland arena burned them into my memory forever. lol

Big J

Post by Big J » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 pm

Yeah, Mr. Geller passed in 2013.

jon tengstedt

Post by jon tengstedt » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:44 pm

I played for the Falcons from 1980- 84. I have every program from my first season because my mother and father saved them for me including a scrapbook. I have a championship ring (The only one in existence because I went to the jewelry store and paid extra for the template. I can't remember the name of the store? My teammates all could of had one! Sorry no jersey, had one long story. A dear friend recovered my coat or it would be gone forever.

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:16 pm

I remember the Falcons. I grew up in Fresno in the 70s and early 80s. Recently moved back from LA. I wish they were still around, I'd pay to watch.