My Memories of Vons at 4343 Blackstone

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
retroman007

My Memories of Vons at 4343 Blackstone

Post by retroman007 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:57 am

I was young, but I do remember the tall slide somewhere on Blackstone between A & W and White Front, I believe the name of the grocery store that is now Vons at 4343 Blackstone. From there, I remember Sears@Manchester and the side street that Babies R Us is across the street is where Sears used to have the garden center. Going through that door from this street led you inside Sears with a huge rounded display of candy bins loaded with varieties of candies and popcorn. I had an Uncle that retired there so I spent a lot of time there in the late 70's, 80's-90's, and in fact in the 70's there used to be a lower employee coffee lounge below Sears loaded with gumball machines and cigarette machines at the ends of the tile stairs- what nostalgia! My uncle would give me change (for the candy machines that is!) My buddy and I would ride our bikes to Aurthurs Toys on Blackstone (now Whities Pets), tie our bikes up in back and walk from Aurthurs to Kmart on the end. Next to Aurthurs was UA cinemas 4 plex, which we also watched many Bond films.

Big J

Re: My Memories 1970's-1980's

Post by Big J » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:28 pm

Great stuff. That Vons was Continental Market.

Jibbajaba

Re: My Memories of Vons at 4343 Blackstone

Post by Jibbajaba » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:39 pm

My mom and I used to shop there in the early 80's when it was called Continental Market. Wasn't that at like Blackstone and Holland or something? We used to live on Swift between Palm and Fruit, so it was one of the closest grocery stores to us, aside from whatever that place was in Fig Garden Village at the time (which was out of our price range). We also used to some times get our car washed right across the street at that Red Carpet, and I remember digging through that bin of cassette tapes in the waiting room, or eating a bag of chips out of the vending machine.