What was the name of the "soft music" radio station?

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Sharlsie

What was the name of the "soft music" radio station?

Post by Sharlsie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:05 am

Besides KYNO and KMAK, there used to be another radio station that always just played soft music and I cannot remember the name of it. I had a friend whose father was the midnight to 6 DJ on it, his last name was Finnel (I think that's the spelling) and i was around 68/69/70 time.

Anyone remember that station?

Big J

Re: What was the name of the "soft music" radio station?

Post by Big J » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:28 am

Was it KFIG?

Sharlsie

Post by Sharlsie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:07 am

I'm thinking maybe it was KARM? I read that on another post here and that kinda rang a bell with me. I just remember they played all the soft old music and that my friend's dad, Mr. Fennel, was the dj from midnight to 6. funny the things you remember, huh?

Big J

Post by Big J » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:49 pm

That does sound like the old KARM format, yeah.

Michael

Post by Michael » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:36 am

I must be older than all the previous posters- KARM was the original soft music station. When we were out by the pool in summer afternoons in the late 60's, although we liked KYNO, we often listened to KMJ because they had call ins for prizes. We must have accumulated five cases of 7-Up that way, as 7-Up Bottling Company was one of their local sponsors. BTW, does anyone remember that the redoubtable John Wallace was for a long time the news reader on KYNO?

Bootjacker

Post by Bootjacker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:05 am

KMAK was a country-western station that morning DJ Gary D Gilbert (who said he was from Tarpey Village) took from the bottom of the stations to the top. "Hot mercy, Martha" was one of his lines as was "You shameless hussy". KYNO was the #1 rock and roll station in Fresno. Yes, KARM was an FM station that played "soft music" and I listened to it in the late '60's while attending FSC.

If anyone remembers around 4pm The Story Lady (Pamela Lucia Irwin) maybe you can tell me about the DJ at that time period and the sports announcer, "Green Shade Louie". If you have any information on either of these last two, contact duanelbryant@gmail.com. (I know about Pamela Lucia, she left quite a legacy).

Rodney

Post by Rodney » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Now THAT'S someone I haven't thought of in years! The late Gary D. Gilbert (1935-1995) used the name "Gary Dee" while on the air. Born in Hope, AR, his family moved to Exeter during the Dust Bowl. He went on to become famous in Cleveland as a talk-show host, and his stint there led many to regard him as radio's first "shock jock."

Yes, but it all began in Fresno on KMAK, where he often shouted, "I didn't saddle up to come in second!!!" He was married and divorced at least once, probably more times. He liked to trash his ex-wife on the air, followed by the old country-western standard "Mental Cruelty" by Buck Owens and Rose Maddox, the subject of which is a husband getting fleeced in divorce court. More about our boy at:

http://garydee.50webs.com/

Hareton

Post by Hareton » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:28 am

It was KKNU I remember it so well because that's all my parents listened to.

mkw

Post by mkw » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:54 pm

They actually piped KKNU FM as background " elevator " music into some of the classrooms ( at a very low volume ) continuously when we moved back into the completely rebuilt Fresno High in Fall 1972. Someone snuck into the office and re-tuned it to KFIG 94.5 progressive rock one day with long -haired DJ Ray Appleton ( who always sounded as if he had a chronic sinus infection ) at the mike .

wb6asq

Post by wb6asq » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:48 pm

Was it KKNU?