Who can forget the "Herpes Triangle"

~
Come back with us now to those hot summer nights when half of Fresno's teens were driving up and down Belmont. Or remember what it was like on Fulton St. before Belmont took the title of "Fresno's Main Drag" Remember the Rainbow Ballroom? Post you night life memories here.
~
Fig Girl

Who can forget the "Herpes Triangle"

Post by Fig Girl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:34 pm

IN the early to mid 80's the area west of Fresno State on Shaw got the dubious nickname the "herpes triangle" It consisted of the Black Angus, Willikers, and Tequila Petes (or the Scoreboard). On weekend nights there would be a line out of door on Shaw at Willikers and you could smell the Georgio as you drove past. One of the bars was giving away a Yugo, which employees would turn upside down. This was the age of wine coolers, long island ice teas, zima, and loaded potato skins. Lots of dancing!

A little further east was the Greenhouse and its infamous two for one happy hours. Then further east you had Spoons, Rubens, and finally the Refrectory. Then there was the Fig Gigs. Fig Garden Village would be packed. Harlands and The Fish Co saw a lot of business. And the Grocery store (which is now a cvs) would have singles nights.

scott-o-rama

Re: Who can forget the "Herpes Triangle"

Post by scott-o-rama » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Funny, I didn't know you could get herpes from dancing.

cabeef

Post by cabeef » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:49 am

Fig Girl, you got it right. I went to the high school in the 80s in Fresno (Bullard) and I recall going to Fish Co and Harlands in Fig Garden, The Refectory on Shaw near Blackstone and Wiliker's near FSU - Fish Co in particular always seemed packed, so it was a mystery why it closed a few years later - must have been skimming off the top? "good times"

Darren

Post by Darren » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:46 pm

Fish company, "Blue Whales". My record was 8.

Darren

Post by Darren » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:50 pm

And the band that played at the Fig Gig was my cousins. They have gone by two names over the years. Zzah or Higher Feelings. They are still together. Three of the original band members are still in it after all these years.

My Cousin.

tonepole

Post by tonepole » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:21 pm

Halloween was so off the hook in Fresno in the 80's. I was in the Refectory and some guy rode his horse (literally) into the front of the Refectory. The owner was freaking out thinking if the horse got spooked it would start kicking and probably killing people. They were able to get the horse turned around and back out the front door.
The "Triangle" was so popular, that people were coming from Sacramento/Modesto on Saturday nights to party.

Willikers was also a very cool place but not as much as The Refectory. My date and I were sitting in the "green room" in the back and there was a couple having sex on one of the chairs with her riding him. WHEW

Munschy

Post by Munschy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:59 pm

Who remembers the time at the Refectory when a guy rode in on a REAL LIVE horse? Rode him into the actual bar area. It was Halloween night, sometime in the early '80's ... WOW!

Kerry

Post by Kerry » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:08 pm

I can remember some guy driving across the street in his convertible corvette putting the top down and him and a girl laying on the back deck going at it starting to have sex and then some guy walking up and killing the vibe, I am pretty sure it was his good friend following him across the street by foot !!!!