Wonderland Roller Rink

~
Nothing struck fear into a young boy like the high dive tower at Blakely's. Or perhaps you preferred the water slide at Maple Plunge. But to a young man, Lake Millerton or Lost Lake was the destination. Remember the ice rink in Pinedale? Post your favorite Summer Activity here.
~
Junglemama

Wonderland Roller Rink

Post by Junglemama » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:02 pm

Remember all the Friday nights sock hops at Wonderland Skating rink on Blackstone. We'd skate until midnight then the bands would come in and we would have a sock hop! My most memorable was Paul Revere and the Raiders I got Mark Lindsay's guitar pick! Made my young life even more special!
Attachments
Wonderland-Roller-Rink.jpg
Fresno Bee - Sept. 10, 1952 - Wonderland Rink ad

chuck dillon

Re: Wonderland Skating Rink

Post by chuck dillon » Sat May 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Jefferson Airplaine played a concert there..others too.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Wonderland Roller Rink

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:05 pm

My Grandpa (George Vanderpool) took me there when I was 9 years old. I begged him to put on a pair of skates but he wouldn't do it no matter how much I begged. Had a fun time anyway with him watching me take laps around the beautiful wooden floor.
Attachments
wonderland-fresno.jpg

Drakonyx

Post by Drakonyx » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Where exactly was this and when was it torn down? From the address, it would seem to be around the Blackstone and Barstow area, perhaps on the southeast corner where Trader Joe's is now??? I grew up in Fresno from 1963-72 and 78 onward, and I have no recollection of the place at all.

Pat

Post by Pat » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Wonderland Skating Rink was owned by the Torcaso Family. Its former location is the building in front of TorNino's banquet facilty. The skating rink is the building the antique store Chesterfield's is located in. It was closest to Blackstone and Shaw Avenues in Fresno.

Pat

Post by Pat » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:06 pm

The original skating rink burned to the ground sometime early 50's. The new one was built later at the Blackstone/Shaw location.

jong559

Post by jong559 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:18 pm

I got my very first job in my life at wonderland skating rink. It was at Blackstone and Shaw. The Torcaso family owned the building but the rink was run by the Bennett family. Ray Bennett gave me my very first job in the late 60s. I competed thru wonderland for many years. Behind the rink was a hotel with a big pool that they would open to the public during the summer. That was wonderland swimming pool.

TerminalWords

Post by TerminalWords » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:45 pm

All I remember being at blackstone and Shaw is bobs bigboy

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:29 pm

Wonderland was a block or so north of Shaw Ave on the right hand side. They occasionally had live bands before Selland Arena was built.