Carol Burnett Mini- Series called "Fresno"

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Jackie

Carol Burnett Mini- Series called "Fresno"

Post by Jackie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:58 am

Does anyone remember the 1980's mini-series about Fresno with Carol Burnett and Terri Garr? It was a spoof on the shows "Dallas" and Dynasty" about two raisin growing families battling for control of the raisin market. It had a tag line that went something like "FRESNO: the Power, the Passion, the Fruit". I used to have an old VHS copy of it but it has been long lost. Any chance they ever converted it to DVD?

Re: Carol Burnett Mini- Series called "Fresno"

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:26 am

Here's an old TV Guide type magazine when it had the FRESNO mini-series featured on the cover.
Attachments
fresno-series-on-TV.jpg
fresno-series-on-TV.jpg (84.12 KiB) Viewed 22879 times

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:12 pm

I remember it. I was young at the time but my dad worked down town and got to see it all. We used to have a copy of it but I'm not sure if we still do. I'll have to look next time I'm at my parents.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:33 am

Fresno: The power, the passion, the fruit! I have no idea why this series didn't make it as big as Dynasty. I mean after all, it was filmed in Fresno. Anyway, click on the video below for a giggle.

Jackie

Post by Jackie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:23 am

OMGsh....ROTFLMAO. Now I really want a copy of the series...it's even more hilarious than I remember. Of course you really do have to be from Fresno in order to really grasp the subtleties of the humor....

djkc

Post by djkc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:23 pm

No, the slogan was "The power, the passion, the produce!" And it never did made it to DVD, unfortunately.

Tastes like ....

Post by Tastes like .... » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:10 am

I just obtained a copy of "FRESNO". I'll never be the same again. The Power, the Passion and those ever loving Raisins! Er, I mean Produce.
Attachments
Fresno TV Guide.JPG

Christopher Stone

Post by Christopher Stone » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:57 pm

It was the mini-series during which, in commercials for the California Raisin Advisory Board, the dancing-singing California Raisins were introduced. I also remember, Gregory Harrison of "Trapper John" fame, shirtless in every scene as Torch, a character that evoked William Holden's shirtless wonder in "picnic."

rockyrock

Post by rockyrock » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:27 am

classic boardenning with the retro style.. it has it's character that's why will be remembered forever

Unclespy

Post by Unclespy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 pm

I was a Deputy Sheriff working patrol at the time they were filming exterior shots for the series around Fresno. I and several other guys were sent out to Kearney Blvd while they did some filming. As we stood around one of the production staff came around and asked if he could take some pictures of us, he snapped away at us and our patrol cars. When the series came out I was pleasantly surprised to see that they captured our distinctive uniforms perfectly!