Channel 24 KMJ-TV - Fresno's first!

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Channel 24 KMJ-TV - Fresno's first!

Post by Lost Fresno » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:21 am

I remember when there was only 3 TV stations in Fresno. Click the video below to see "Scoopy" sign on and the channel 24 test pattern!

Jackie

Re: Channel 24 KMJ-TV - Fresno's first!

Post by Jackie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. "Nancy Allen" was the stage name selected by KMJ-TV (Channel 24) producers for the woman they would hire to host an afternoon show of interest to women in 1956. The station hired Lorraine Hanna Martin, who auditioned on a whim on the last day of tryouts.
Martin didn't even own a television set at the time. Television was a new medium, and KMJ-TV was the Valley's first station. Martin was the first woman to appear on-air on local Fresno television

Reprinted from the Fresno Bee
ASK ME: Paula Lloyd section
http://www.fresnobee.com

FresnoNativeInLA

Post by FresnoNativeInLA » Tue May 23, 2023 2:26 am

Lost Fresno wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:21 am
I remember when there was only 3 TV stations in Fresno. Click the video below to see "Scoopy" sign on and the channel 24 test pattern!

The bee was Teevy. His brother Scoopy is the mascot for the McClatchy paper The Fresno Bee. Their other brother Gabby was the mascot for KMJ radio. The bees were created by Walt Disney. Watching Teevy sign off the station and go to bed at night (the bed he flipped down from from the TV set) formed such a memory in my childhood and beyond. I was so joyed to locate the clip on YouTube and share it with my partner after having described it so many years earlier.

fresnojeff888

Post by fresnojeff888 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:24 am

I'm Nancy Allan's son and Mom started at KMJ in 1954. I was only 4 years old, but remember going next door to see her on our neighbor's television. We moved out of the house on Fairmont Ave. where we were then then living in 1955 & moved to a new house several blocks away.