Mars Drive-In

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
bill

Mars Drive-In

Post by bill » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:20 pm

I grew up here in Fresno in the 50s 60s and 70s anybody here cruise Belmont? Remember Mars drive in, Port George, Royal and the carwash across from Mars? Belmont sure has changed looks like a third world country now. A lot of college kids lived around there then.
Attachments
mars.jpg
From Fresno Neon web site
mars.jpg (50.06 KiB) Viewed 27576 times

Sharlsie

Re: mars drive in

Post by Sharlsie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:16 am

We used to cruise "the main" all the time on weekends as soon as we got our licenses (1973). So much fun! And I do remember Mars drive-In and Royale, goodness the times we had. I'm sure now if they had that you'd be fearing for your life. I miss the old Fresno, it was a good place to grow up.

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Mars Drive-In

Post by Lost Fresno » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:41 pm

I recollect the Mars Drive-In quite well and pulled in there a few times while cruising Belmont. I mainly ordered from the car but one night in particular I remember going into the lobby. I found the picture below on the internet and it appears that this is all that is remaining of this iconic landmark. You can see part of the Mars logo inset into a piece of the lobby tile. The instant I saw this photo I was transported back to that night and now vividly remember thinking to myself how pretty the lobby floor was. I hope it jogged your memory as well.
Attachments
mars tile.jpg

organistspouse

Post by organistspouse » Tue May 17, 2011 12:51 pm

As a young child, I remember going to Mars with a much older sister and her high school friends. Everyone ordered burgers and Cherry-Lime Rickys.

Drakonyx

Post by Drakonyx » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:17 am

I think they resurrected this on West Shaw Avenue recently.

flwbdw

Post by flwbdw » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:26 am

Of the two drive in's, Bob's and Mars, I liked Mars because when you were booted out for not buying anything you could go across the street and sit in the self service car wash lot and still check out all the people on Belmont. It seemed all the "surfer types" would be at Bob's(surfing in Fresno?) and the more "hard a**es" would be at Mars. Don't know which category I thought I was in but I didn't drive a woody or a panel truck. My 61 Bel-Air sat so low the only drive in I went to was the Moon Glo cause I didn't scrape the frame when looking for a parking space.

Robin S.

Post by Robin S. » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:11 am

I grew up in Fresno and dragged Belmont with my friends, lol. I also worked as a car hop at Port George Drive-In for a while when I was 18. Loved their Hamburger Subs! Good times. Sad to hear the area in now in disrepair.

GuzziMatt

Post by GuzziMatt » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:42 pm

I shot this pic in 1978 while visiting a friend. I was a photography student in San Francisco at the time. I am sorry to learn Mars was not preserved.
Fresno 1978.jpg

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:55 pm

Wow! Just Wow! You sir, just earned the Lost Fresno picture of the year award! FYI: Don't forget to enlarge this great photo by clicking on it for a super large size. Lots of interesting details in this shot!

Regards,
Lost Fresno Admin

GuzziMatt

Post by GuzziMatt » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Why thank you! It is an honor indeed.

Matt