Bob's Big Boy

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
krazgeo

Bob's Big Boy

Post by krazgeo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:33 am

I remember the Bob's Big Boy at Blackstone and Shaw Avenues. I went to FSC from the fall of '64 to the end of the fall semester '69. (I changed my major, so needed an extra semester to finish.) For the first year or so I was there, several girls from my (Dos Palos) high school class were in the dorms, so we would go down to Bob's once in a while. A buck 55 would buy me 2 Big Boy hamburgers, an order of french fries, and a soda.

I kept a little tub of seasoning salt in the ash tray of my car. Later, there was a Bob's up where Blackstone split, towards downtown a ways, and later, after the Shaw restaurant was gone, another one was on North Blackstone a mile or so north of Shaw. Now there are some in So Cal, and Bakersfield. I got enough seasoning salt to last a lifetime, and use it all the time. Yum!
Attachments
bobs menu 1.jpg
bobs menu 2.jpg
Click to Enlarge

sjvalleydave

Re: Bob's Big Boy

Post by sjvalleydave » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:45 pm

I remember well the downtown location at the SE corner of Belmont and Blackstone. We would cruise through their parking lot doing our turnaround to cruise back down Belmont west. Just saw the place yesterday. It is now an Asian restaurant and the Der Wienerschintzel on the SW corner is a Mexican food place.
Attachments
1704 east belmont.jpg
Bob's Big Boy 1704 East Belmont location

Sharlsie

Post by Sharlsie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:43 pm

I worked at that Bob's Big Boy in 1975/76 when I was 18 and just out of high school. I worked the night shift, and on Friday and Saturday nights we would be there until 4am. Afterwards some of us waitresses would go down the street to Dennys and have breakfast. Had a lot of fun in the job.

Drakonyx

Post by Drakonyx » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Does anyone have any photos of this restaurant (the one at Shaw and Blackstone)? It had an impressive sign out front, but I can't find any visual record of it.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:39 am

I had a part time job as a security guard for a local "door shaker" Security Company in the late-1960's. A couple of us were assigned to the Blackstone/Shaw Bob's Big Boy Drive-In on Friday and Saturday nights. We put on a uniform, a loaded gun, a billy club, and a sap and were told to keep things under control. When I think of the things that happened, I ask myself why would I put myself in that kind of risk and liability for minimum wage? Closing down the carhop/drive-in portion of the restaurant was a smart move.
Attachments
bobs opening.jpg
Tarzan at Grand Opening / Fresno Bee - April 12, 1964
Bobs grand opening.jpg
Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan) at the Grand Opening

Karl 2244

Post by Karl 2244 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:12 am

I remember my brother telling stories of the crazy goings-on at the Bob's at Blackstone and Shaw, including his friend getting his leg smashed when someone slammed the door on it. I also remember the huge sign out front which I vaguely remember had a large circular element with neon lines that would light up in various patterns. Quite the sight. I wonder if someone has a photo of that?

Elizabird

Post by Elizabird » Mon May 23, 2016 6:11 pm

When I worked downtown, my girlfriends and I used to have early early breakfasts at Bob's Big Boy, starring crunchy French toast planks, warm syrup, sides of bacon and really super coffee. I didn't date guys with guns so never went near a Bobs (Blackstone or Belmont branches) after the sun went down. Loved the early a.m. ambience and all that high energy hot tasty greasy goodies!

Fraulein63

Post by Fraulein63 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:53 pm

I remember how high the waitress's beehive hairdos were in the 60's. This was the Blackstone/Shaw location. My family liked Bob's-I remember the great hamburgers and the chili size (spaghetti with a meat patty and chili). Yum

I loved the milkshakes you had to eat with a spoon. They were more like Frosty's than a milkshake. I also remember the good hot fudge sundaes. We also went to the Bob's near Belmont. It was fun to go to either location with a group of friends too.