Pinedale Ice Skating Rink

~
Nothing struck fear into a young boy like the high dive tower at Blakely's. Or perhaps you preferred the water slide at Maple Plunge. But to a young man, Lake Millerton or Lost Lake was the destination. Remember the ice rink in Pinedale? Post your favorite Summer Activity here.
~
Ajay

Re: Pinedale Ice Skating Rink

Post by Ajay » Mon May 27, 2013 8:42 am

I can add a few details about the skating rink in Pinedale, since my mother, Vera Jones, along with Cliff Paige, was one of the owners. They were members of the Fresno Skating Club, and when the Fresno Ice Arena closed around 1958, she and Cliff salvaged the refrigeration equipment from the Ice Arena and reinstalled it in the smaller location at Pinedale. During one of my Christmas breaks from Stanford, I remember working with an oxy-acetylene torch cutting the refrigeration pipes to remove them from the Ice Arena. Cliff was the guy who built it and kept things going mechanically. After a few years, I don't recall exactly when, the ice rink was sold to Bill and Julie Barrett.

SharAnn1

Post by SharAnn1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:38 am

Does anyone have a old picture of the Pinedale Ice Skating Rink they can send me? This was a big part of my high school years. From 1970-1974 my brother, his friends, my friends and I, skated their on the weekends. We had so much fun. . . I would love to put a picture of the rink in my memory book for generations after me. If you do please send to sharann1@aol.com

Thank you

Big J

Post by Big J » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:57 pm

That old-west wooden facade on the building now...was that there when it was the rink?

Chris L

Post by Chris L » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Wow great memories here! The folks took my older brother and sister to see Ice Capades back in the 60’s 67ish? Then we started going to hockey games at selland.. By then, we had found Iceland in Pinedale! Took lessons from Mr Barrett. Cant remember how many lessons but soon, I was a little missle on my rented figure skates! I could cover a person head to toe with snow doing the “hockey stop”! Bill frowned on this behavior as well as “quarter hockey”
I remember the rink “stud” was Gilly Nichols?
All skaters would line the walls as he dazzled us with impossible feats of grace..
Too many great memories of “my” rink!
Today, Nearly 60yrs young, I graduated to hockey skates 30 yrs ago and just love blowing the kids minds as I weave in, around, through, forward, backward with correct crossovers as the kids stay weary of my snow covering hockey stops!!