Happy Steak

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Fresneck

Happy Steak

Post by Fresneck » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Ah the Happy Steak on Blackstone somewhere near Lester Burger, You know a spud is good if it's wrapped in gold foil.

*Note from admin: Newspaper clipping added from 1970 showing Happy Steak ad.
Attachments
mermaid-show.jpg
Fresno Bee - Fri. Sept. 13, 1970 - Happy Steak ad

Big J

Re: Happy Steak

Post by Big J » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:06 pm

If I ever open a restaurant, it'll be called The Happy Steak, in tribute, and I'll have to find/get rights to the little logo guy

cleozmom

Post by cleozmom » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:24 pm

We used to go there all the time, it was on the southwest corner of Blackstone & Clinton. They used to push a dessert cart around while you were dining.

westernfb

Post by westernfb » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:11 am

Used to love eating here as a kid. Loved the little, plastic Happy Steak stuck into my meat to indicate whether it was medium-rare, etc.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:09 am

Here's some trivia for you; I remember when Happy Steak was originally Toppers. It changed to Happy Steak soon after, but kept the tables. They had the steers head with a "T" in the middle. To the best of my memory, only the name changed, not the menu. Used to always get their steak sandwiches.

Big J

Post by Big J » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:16 pm

McCoy's Coffee Shop in Selma has some of the same lineage as Happy Steak (same original owner, new owner was the old one's right hand guy for 30 years or some such). Lot of the old menu items I remember too. Give them some business if you're in the neighborhood.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:13 pm

Used to love Happy Steak. It was a kids go to on birthday place. We went to the one over at Clinton and Hughes. Trivia: Originally opened as "Toppers." That's why the tables had the steer head design with the "T" in the middle. Loved their steak sandwich.

Karl 2244

Post by Karl 2244 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:01 am

Does anyone remember local celebrity Dennis James doing commercials for Happy Steak? My best friend and his family got to appear on a commercial with him - filmed at our nearest branch at Shaw and West.

maxi

Post by maxi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:28 pm

my favorite thing at Happy Steak was always the green beans. They're still the gold standard for me.

kmcc01

Post by kmcc01 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Didn't the Diciccos on Clinton and Weber used to be a Toppers? Seems like I can remember the Toppers logo on the tables.