Roger Rocka's restaurant/pub (Goodbody's)

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
jameslashford

Roger Rocka's restaurant/pub (Goodbody's)

Post by jameslashford » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:00 am

I'm told that Roger Rocka had a restaurant or pub in Fresno at one time. NOT the dinner theater. Can anyone confirm the time and location?

sjvalleydave

Re: Roger Rocka's restaurant/pub (Goodbody's)

Post by sjvalleydave » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:05 pm

Yes he did. It was called Goodbody's on the west side of Maroa just south of Shields. I was in wine sales at the time and he was an account of mine. Late 80's - 88/89/90 or so. Had a great beer selection, like a 100 different beers and you could "join" and get a card and after you had tried them all get a T Shirt.

james.ashford@usa.net

Post by james.ashford@usa.net » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks so much for clearing up the mystery.

Drakonyx

Post by Drakonyx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:11 pm

I remember that. I think I only visited once, but it seemed like a decent place. I don't think it lasted very long, though. Restaurants in that area seemed to come and go pretty frequently.

TomConnolly

Post by TomConnolly » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:25 pm

I worked at Goodbody's Pub. I was a dishwasher and my friend Brian Gooch was one of the bartenders. It was a fun place to work. Excellent beer selection, good food, darts, nice employees, good regular customers, just a great place to hangout and cool off on hot days although it was ALWAYS packed on cold rainy days. If it had an outside patio it could have been even better. It closed down as it was robbed twice in the same month by the same robbers. Roger said enough was enough and that was it.

cslama

Post by cslama » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:23 pm

I was present at the 2nd armed robbery. It felt like being on the train at Knotts Berry Farm during the staged robbery. It was such a shame that it shut down. Although it was definitely the correct decision to shut it down for safety, it was such a cool place to hang out. Great warm, friendly, and fun atmosphere in a horrible location. Does anyone know if they caught the cowards?

drak

Post by drak » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:50 am

I lived in Fresno for less than a year; moved there for a "better" job, that turned out to be nothing of the sort, and then had a long-distance relationship break it off with me. I didn't know anybody in Fresno, I was miserable, and had money in the bank, so I became a gentleman drunkard. I feel fortunate that I found Goodbody's Pub to cushion my crash.

I wasn't so much a regular at Goodbody's; I was more of a fixture, but I was always treated well by the staff, and I started to think of the place as my living room. I got into more philosophical discussions with staff and other patrons than I would ever have expected. It was the only bar I have ever been in where that was reliably the norm. The place was magic. Not the Harry Potter kind; the real kind where sparks fly between people; the kind where wisdom speaks and is actually heard. I learned things, that stuck, and were useful, even after I finally stopped drinking. I moved away before the robberies, Sad that it happened, but I'm glad Roger landed on his feet. Strange; It's been thirty years, and I knew just where to look. I still have the "Certified World Traveler" card from back then, with 42 spaces for the various beers of the world that they carried.

Haven't even thought about it for 30 years, and then BINGO. That's unconscious knowledge. Why did I keep that card? Almost entirely good memories, I'd say. BTW, if you succeeded in filling up your "Hall of Foam Passport / Certified World Traveler" card, it wasn't a T-shirt, it was a little brass plaque on the wall, with your name and a small inscription. Mine had a quote from a Hendrix tune: "And so castles made of sand, fall in the sea, eventually." Goodbody's; It was great while it lasted. Best Pub EVER!