My Top 10 List - Add Your Memory

~
Add a favorite hang-out or special memory of a time long since gone, but not forgotten. This is our catch all forum for topics not listed elsewhere. The moderator may move your topic to a specific forum category later, to assist other members in finding fun information. If you are in doubt, post here!
~
cleozmom

Re: "Lost Fresno" My Top 10 List - Add Your Memory

Post by cleozmom » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:59 am

1. Potter's Drugstore (Mayfair)
2. Airways
3. Carousel Roller Rink
4. Belmont Dairy (going to the drive up and getting chocolate milk)
5. Thrifty's Diner at their Blackstone & Ashlan location)
6. Outpost Steakhouse
7. Fresno Hobby Shop (my brothers used to race cars on their inside track)
8. Me-n-Ed's (it's still there, but I'm not)
9. Perry Boys (Manchester)
10. Lesterburger

Patti

Post by Patti » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:15 am

1. Bob's Big Boy drive-in, using their special seasoning salt in the ketchup on my fries. And cherry cokes and vanilla cream cokes!
2. Hearing the track meets, concerts (Rolling Stones!), and ball games drifting over the air to my house at Thesta and Peralta.
3. "Cruising the main" down Belmont over and over and over (back when gas was so cheap!)
4. Weekend Mag Dances at the Rainbow Ballroom, the Roadrunners playing. Also when the Stone Ponies and even Santana played there.
5. Parking and necking at Friant Dam. Wasn't supposed to drive up there but always did.
6. Driving around in my '67 Mustang thinking I was so cool.
7. High school football games, especially Fresno High v. Roosevelt. (Go Bulldogs!)
8. Driving around in fog so thick I put someone on the hood of my car to yell directions.
9. Cal Worthington and his Dog Spot.
10. Going to the movies at the Tower Theater.

Todd Osterberg

Post by Todd Osterberg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:51 pm

"When Fresno State actually had a good basketball team with Boyd Grant" I played baseball with Boyd's son in the Fig Garden Spartan League. His name was Kevin. Great memories of the three years our team was together. It was GREAT having Boyd at a game. He was well known in the community and once the Ump's knew he was around, pretty sure more calls went our way.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:54 pm

Anyone on this thread remember Ray Snow and his Hornet Machine Shop on Ventura Boulevard? He was involved with the midget racers at Kearney Bowl and also made the Hornet model gas engines that were used in model race cars.

Class O' 1980

Post by Class O' 1980 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Things I miss since moving away:
1. Bulldog Donuts
2. DeCicco 's Pizza
3. Arthur's Toys
4. Kinney's Shoes
5. Ivy Jr. High Teachers-Go Jets!
6. Mello Ice Cream
7. Happy Steak
8. Lester Burger
9. Day-trips Yosemite, Sequoia,Kings Canyon, and Shaver Lake
10. Star Market in West Fresno

I wish my teachers Mr. Atchley, Miss Ganoe, Mrs. Collins, Ms. Brown, Miss Lundgren, and Miss Stafford all a long and prosperous life. I wish I could have gone back to say hello and catch up on old times, but circumstances prevented me from coming back to Fresno for a visit. Thank you for all you did for me as a student and fellow human being. God bless you all.

Bonner Boy

Post by Bonner Boy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:41 pm

Can anyone help me out. My Grandparents ran a place called "The Park" Drive-In Restaurant. I am from the east so I do not know my way around California. It was somewhere between Tulare and Visalia. I see on the Map it is near Fresno, but I can't tell how close. I would love to find out anything I can. The names of my Grandparents were John and Mary Student and they ran the place in the mid 40's.

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Before I list my Top 10, I do remember Colonial green and Carousel Skating rink as we lived at Maple & Shields, but I also remember another miniature golf course right next to the Belmont Circle and another off of Belmont or Olive near Broadway-ish. Also the only market that I remember with a canal in back was the Country Boy at Fresno and McKinley, where it was on the small narrow corner in front of where the McKinley canal turned to the south.

1. The Fresno Airport when you could sit at McKinley and Clovis and watch the planes take off and land, but more important the 1/4 midget track where the ANG has buildings today. When the annexed the land the 1/4 midget racing club was told they would be given property across the airport off Dakota near where the old batting cages were. Never happened, typical Fresno politics.
2. Clovis Speedway on the Rodeo grounds in downtown Clovis. I remember parking along Clovis Ave and walking across the railroad tracks (they were still there to get to the ticket booth. The back straight wooden wall is still there, right next to Clark Intermediate school's fence. People could walk from the track and go to the old Clovis bars: Frontier, Jim's Place, etc.
3. The Raisin City/Fresno Dragstrip on Manning ave near Raisin City. Blackie Gejian (sp) used to have some big time race's out there. The old drag strip is still there. it is being used as a crop dusting landing strip.
4. Hank Swank's driving range on the corner of Maple and Shield's. He had a small par 3 course that stretched down to Sierra Vista. He later moved to Chestnut and Shields then to Olive and Fowler. Apartment houses are at the Maple and Shield's location.
5. Storyland in Roeding Park where there were cool things to do, like climb up the Beanstalk and ride the whirly wheels without the threat of a lawsuit if someone got hurt.
6. Growing up in a Fresno where we could ride our mini bikes in empty fields without raising a red alert with the Fresno PD. I remember we would push them down maple to the property that are the ponds and push them to the airport and ride up and down the old ammo bunkers that were along Clinton, about where the SSA building is now.
7. Taking our cars in the early 70's and street racing at American Safety off Peach and McKinley or on Willow, north of Herndon, way out in the country then. Also fruit and Church and Jensen Ave near the Sewage plant, seemed so innocent then. No drugs, no guns, etc.
8. Rudy's Variety store in Mayfair Center where my grandma worked. Right next door to the dry cleaners and a couple of business's away from Mayfair Market. Also on the property was Mayfair Drive In with $.10 burgers.
9.The old Clawson Honda on Blackstone, just south of Shaw. It was known as Clawson's Boat Works, then they added Honda motorcycles. It dealt more in boats than bikes, then they moved and got the Honda cars. Back then we had Clawson Honda, Maruko's Cyclery (Honda), and the Honda shop in Clovis.
10. The old trolley car sheds near Tulare and First Street and the old tracks that were still in the roads in some places by there. Had some old fruit packing sheds there also. Honorable mention: How when we got any kind of heavy rain Clinton Ave would be closed, under water near Millbrook and they had the pumps there pumping water into the ditch.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:52 pm

The Buffalo Butcher--B Z B Market

pAAtty

Post by pAAtty » Sat May 26, 2012 8:44 pm

So many memories sitting on our cement porch on summer days cause it was too hot inside!

1. Chicken pie shop downtown and actually going shopping downtown with my parents all dressed up, way before it became Fulton Mall.
2. Roosevelt High school - awww - that graduation and students coming out the ivy covered "windows"
3. Royal Drive in. Complete with bell hops, I wish we had those kind of drive-ins now
4. Drug store across from Roosevelt High School and what was that dress shop across the street
5. Going to Blakelys to swim (or at the very least) looking for cute boys
6. Going water skiing after church at Pine Flat Dam or Millerton. We could be there in 45 minutes?
7. Yosemite Jr. High sock hops
8. Fresno City College - hanging with friends (instead of going to class)
9. Foster Freeze real banana shakes (I still have to have one when I go there)
10. Me-in-Eds pizza near McKinley and Olive. We would take a couple of bucks and coupons and pizza for Nan, Carolyn & me
11. Last but not least, DiCiccos. Still my favorite Italian sauce and food. A must when I hit Fresno.

Good memories of growing up in fresno, but when I return, NOTHING is the same, oh well.

MichaelMichael

Post by MichaelMichael » Sat May 26, 2012 11:39 pm

Patty. All of this brings back so many memories and a little bit of heartbreak. Was the "Dress Shop" across from RHS "Ollenbergers"? And even though I moved away from Fresno in 1979, you know that we must always hit the original DiCicco's on Divisadero and Abby? When we return!