Ron Pearson and the Ron Dons at The Place

~
Come back with us now to those hot summer nights when half of Fresno's teens were driving up and down Belmont. Or remember what it was like on Fulton St. before Belmont took the title of "Fresno's Main Drag" Remember the Rainbow Ballroom? Post you night life memories here.
~
oldschool

Ron Pearson and the Ron Dons at The Place

Post by oldschool » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:57 pm

Does anyone remember a band called Ron Pearson and the Ron Dons? When I was way young I believe they played at a place on Whitesbridge Rd., near Hughes. I am not sure. Are they still playing? In 1986 I heard they were going to play at the MGM in Reno, Nevada at a lounge show. A friend and I went about 100 miles to see them only to find out it was cancelled. The Roadrunners were another great band too. In the 1960's there was a lot of music to be heard. The Rainbow Ballroom, Crimson Castle, and I believe the D' Marti too.

oldschool

Re: Ron Pearson and the Ron Dons at The Place

Post by oldschool » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:28 pm

In 1965 I was pretty young. I lived way south west of that area. I remember my parents and I would drive by The Place. At night it was always crowded. I am not sure, but I think Ron Pearson owned it. If you read one of my other postings, he had a band called Ron Pearson and the Ron Dons.

They played many, years around Fresno. Ron also owned a night club on Belmont near First in the mid 1970's. Also in the mid 1970's near Princeton and Maroa he might of owned a night club called the Flame or Inferno. Not sure. Thank you for mentioning this. The last time I was in Fresno was 2006. It has really changed.

oldschool

katemason2

Post by katemason2 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:39 am

I remember Ron Pearson and the Ron Don's very well. The building on Whitesbridge Rd. was called "The Place." This was around 1964 through 1967 when I was there every weekend and on Wednesday night when I could. We would have our sunglasses on when we went to work the next day because our eyes were so bad. I met my future husband there and so did one of my girlfriends. In the winter I wore a real large furry coat and we would check our coats at the door. One guy said "should I check it or put it in a cage?"

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:44 pm

His name was Ron Pearson he had a band long ago named Ron Pearson and the Ron Dons, then he owned IN KA HOOTS in Clovis Ca. I am not sure what happened to him.

1965 Scot

Post by 1965 Scot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:49 am

I remember the Ron Dons, but I was too young to go to the clubs where they played. My favorite Fresno bad was The Raiks Progress. Those guys were great musicians (Tonio K) and put on a great show at the dances they played. Also loved The Roadrunners, who probably had the best original songs in Fresno (I'll Make It Up to You, Sleepy Friend) and The Lavender Hill Mob, a Jefferson Airplane inspired psychedelic band.

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:00 pm

He also owned the place on Belmont for awhile, then Ron Pearson's Circle on Maroa. Had Inkhoots in Clovis then Inkahoots 2 on Shaw and 6th till about 1996/1997. A friend of mine saw him somewhere lately. Doing OK. He also had a brother who drove hard tops/supermodifieds. He was killed way back racing

Drakonyx

Post by Drakonyx » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:18 pm

What ever happened to these bands? Did they break up or move on to other groups? It sounds like the Road Runners were a pretty big deal locally. Does anyone remember them? Jim Doval and the Gauchos seem to have had some success, too, as did Kings Verses, Raik's Progress, the Brymers and Steve Perry's band out of Hanford. Did anybody go to any of the "battles of the bands" involving any of these acts? What were they like?

flwbdw

Post by flwbdw » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:20 pm

As noted by other Fresnens there were many clubs in the 60's. The two I would frequent most were Mag 7 and The Brogue. Mag was at the Rainbow Ballroom. Can't remember exactly where the Brogue was. The bands that played at Mag regularly were Roadrunners fronted by Randy? Hall. The Cindermen fronted by, I believe, Fred Perry, The Children,formally the Chandells? with Bruce Conte on bass, Steve Hertzog on lead guitar, Ron Drione on drums. Can't remember the member on rhythm guitar. The Children were later fronted by, I believe, Scott Kehoe. Rakes Progress had another name before changing it to the name of the 3 act Opera.

All of those bands were very good. The Roadrunners cut a single that that was played KYNO and the Cindermen recorded "Don't do it some more babe cause its hurts so good" that was played on KMAKe. Randy Hall did a great James Brown impersonation when playing Please Please. There were other bands that had some success in the Fresno clubs like The 6 o'Clock News Hour with the Russo brothers and others. Bruce Conte, of the Children went on to "Tower Of Power" and later to a successful solo career. This is from my memory and I hope some one will fill in some blanks or correct, if any, mistakes I made.

Kathy lahanas

RE: Ron Pearson and the Ron Dons at The Place

Post by Kathy lahanas » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Ron Pearson died August 27, 2015. My girlfriend and I followed him all around Fresno in the 70s, dancing and enjoying his music!! Sorry to see his obituary today. Rock on Ron!

Jeff Anderson

Post by Jeff Anderson » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Hey, I love the thread. If you haven't heard, Dick Lee from the Lemoore band the Brymers has a wonderful website about all of this. He even has a Saturday radio show about it on Kool FM in hanford. Anyway, I was in a Kingsburg band in the 60's called the Sedate Sunshine Colony so I know of most of these bands.