Stan's Drive-In and the "Private Line"

~
Pulling into the Mars Drive-in for a Lime Rickey. Ordering up a burger from the car hop at the A&W on Blackstone. Checking out the action at Bob's Big Boy. Your favorite grilled cheese sandwich at the Woolworths Counter. Don't forget loading up at Perry Boys Smorgy. What eats do you miss?
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Stan's Drive-In and the "Private Line"

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:22 am

This memory was hared by Senior57: Stan's Private Line was on the air relatively late each evening (Maybe someone else can recall the hours and the days of the broadcasts). This was back in the late 1940s. I was still in grammar school, but even at that young age, loved to listen to the show. My parents worked nights, so my sister and I could stay up as late as we wanted, and almost always tuned in the show. I think that the way it worked was this: You could go to Stan's Drive In and along with your cokes, fries, and hamburgers, request that a song be dedicated to your Someone Special on the radio program, Stan's Private Line, naturally sponsored by Stan's Drive In. Even after all these years, the sign-on song lyrics float into mind. They went pretty much like this:

Let's eat, I'm hungry. Now please don't think I'm rude.
You're sweet and lovely, but I'm in the mood for food.
Your kiss is thrilling, but please don't think it's crude,
But it's not filling, when I'm in the mood for food.

You've made me know what bliss is, so don't think I'm a dummy,
But I can't go for kisses - on an empty tummy!

Let's eat, I'm starvin'! Our love can be renewed.
Right now, my Darlin', I'm in the mood for food!

I'm sure someone out there can correct me on the wording, but I think the above is fairly close. I believe the program always signed off with the Pied Pipers' version of "Dream," without a doubt the best possible tune with which to end each evening's show.

At any rate, the program was great, and some of the dedications were really heartfelt while others were meant to be jokes, etc. It would be hard to imagine anything like it today, which is kind of sad. I think Stan's, without realizing it at the time, did a lot to provide a super hangout for kids and the program did much to encourage a the close-knit town that Fresno seemed to be in those happy times following the war.

Senior57
Attachments
stans drive-in fresno b&w.jpg

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Stan's Drive-In and the "Private Line"

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:57 am

Hello Senior57. That was a great post. Hope it was OK to move it here into the Burger Joint forum. Question for you sir: Is the Stans menu below how you remember it?
Attachments
stans fresno menu.jpg

pandabart@sti.net

Post by pandabart@sti.net » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks for the Let's Eat words. i have been looking for those for years.

I was in the Air Force in the early 1950's, stationed in Alaska. One night, in Galena, a village and Air Force station on the Yukon River, I picked up Stan's Private Line for 30 to 45 seconds, then it faded.

Xntreek1

Post by Xntreek1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:50 pm

That was Great theme song rendition, and at the end he would say...
"Baby let's go down and get some of that fine Stan's cooking."
My wording may be incorrect but kinda think ya get the jist. :)
Cherry-Lime-Rickey was my fav refreshment from there.

mjf

Post by mjf » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:17 am

No matter what high school you attended, Stan's was where you wanted to be. In all these years, I've never tasted a better burger. And the deep dish berry pie, oh my!

garyc@cocolatv.com

Post by garyc@cocolatv.com » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:51 am

I am trying to find the artist who recorded the "Let's eat, I'm hungry song" so if anyone knows who it was please let me know.

ceebonest

Post by ceebonest » Fri May 13, 2016 8:49 pm

Listened to Stan's Private line for the music and the dedications. You would find out who the latest couples were and who was breaking up (or hoping to start up). The place to be and be seen at the end of the Main :). This was mid to late 50's.

Edison56

Post by Edison56 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:07 pm

My "Fresno" husband (Edison56) can't stop singing Stan's Private Line Song to me - it's LOVE. And.....I fill his tummy first, of course!! Then he tells all about the "Double Burger with SPECIAL SAUCE" and Deep Dish Apple Pie with Whip Cream! That's the way to end the night - by carefully backing your car out of the second or third row without spilling your tray that's hooked to your window, of course! Remember the nights draggin' the Main.

kingoffreetv

Post by kingoffreetv » Sat May 06, 2017 4:13 am

I was finally able to find the theme song Let's Eat from the Stan's Private Line Radio Show. Dean Opperman had the information. The artist was Bobby Sherwood, and with that info the song was on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8eYBwhSFOg
Attachments
bobby sherwood.jpeg

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:45 am

I remember the milk shakes. I only ordered vanilla. They were so thick, it was impossible to use a straw. I can't remember if they came with a spoon. They were real Ice Cream, not Ice Milk, or imitation Ice Cream. One night, we (teens) didn't have enough money to pay the bill. We roamed around collecting bottles, and then turned them in to collect the deposit, and then back to Stan's to pay the bill.
Attachments
stansmenu.jpg
Click to Enlarge