KYNO #1 Fresno!

~
You just got home from school and it’s Channel 30 Fun Time! Or maybe Nancy Allen's Movie Matinee on Channel 24. Don’t forget the BOSS 30's #1 KYNO. If you were sophisticated, you only listened to KFIG on some new airwave called FM. We honor the late great Al Radka here at Lost Fresno whose motto was Lettuce Eat it!
~
Big J

Re: KYNO #1 Fresno!

Post by Big J » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:26 pm

John, He was at WCNY some time back. Not listed as a part of their team at the moment but they may know where he's at.

58pacer

Post by 58pacer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:33 am

Johnny Morris, just a little memory refresher: KBIF was 900 Kc. 980 Kc was occupied by KEAP, a low-power country station that a buddy of mine used to spin records at. KEAP kind of drifted away after KMAK went to that format and blew them out of the water with guys like Gary Mack.

Initially, after top 40 format and the "KMAKer's dozen," KMAKe went to an easy-listening format on February 1, 1966. Kind of a shock tuning in my favorite station and hearing that! Then KYNO was pretty much the only game in town. But the lack of competition hurt Fresno's radio music diversity, for sure. Not only would KYNO not play the Rolling Stones' "Let's Spend the Night Together" or the Beach Boys' "Wouldn't It Be Nice" (which, of course, are both rock classics now!), they pulled the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" from the play list after just two weeks. Dave Nelson, who did midnight to six, told me on the Boss request line (255-9913) in March, 1966 he couldn't play it because management had a strict religious code that wouldn't allow such blasphemous references to God. "They got that record out of here," he said.

How absurd! That is one of the most beautiful pieces of harmony and counterpoint to ever hit the national top 40 charts. So I bought the album Pet Sounds so I could listen to it all I wanted. Never regretted that move! Ray Appleton was with KFIG, the FM album-rock station. Black Bart was a favorite DJ of mine from the 1964/65 on KMAKe. His afternoon show had background noises that suggested that he was always broadcasting poolside. Pete McNeal was my all-time favorite Boss Jock on KYNO . . . made listening to that regimented Boss Radio format almost bearable.

Tom Maule left Fresno for the big markets in SoCal, KGB San Diego and KHJ Los Angeles, but eventually came home to Fresno to do a show on 940 KFRE in the mid-1970's. He was without a doubt my favorite KFRE DJ. Off topic, but anybody remember Lohman and Barkley on KFI in the early 1980's? Fantastic morning show with music, skits, conversation, etc. Great stuff to wake up and get ready for work to! How about the Wolfman all night on XERB in the mid 1970's? Those signals got to Fresno, I'm sure. I tried to to upload wav attachments of the KMAKe and KYNO jingles from the 1960's, but sound attachments aren't allowed here. What I'd love to find is the pre-Boss Radio "Lucky 13, Radio KYNO" jingle package, and I would trade a comparable portion of the KMAKe jingle package for 1962 in return. It includes Ron Jacobs', Bob Morgan's, and Frank Terry's jingles!

58pacer

Post by 58pacer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:12 pm

Well, the memory sure ain't what it used to be (was it ever?). I couldn't have requested God Only Knows in March 1966 because the vocals weren't even recorded until April! It must have been June of 1966. And the midnight to six guy at KYNO wasn 't Dave Nelson, that was Ricky's big brother on The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. I want to say Dave Evans, but I think probably not. He was the program director at KYNO toward the end of the 1960's, so my brain cells are just getting crossed again.

58pacer

Post by 58pacer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Okay,it might have been Dave Nelson, because there was a KYNO DJ by that name later on. Here are the names I can dig up off of KYNO surveys 1967-1973:

Nick Anthony
Dave Jeffreys
Bobby (later, Bob) Taylor
Dave Nelson
John David Barry
Johnny Hall
Lee Duncan
Don Kennedy
Gary Mitchell
Johnny Scott
Bob Lee
Bill Stevens
Jerry Mann
Chuck Christian
The Real Pete McNeal
Sean Conrad
Big John Carter
Dirk Robinson
Joe Angel
Ted Jordan
Sean Conrad
Mike Novak
Dave London
Todd Walker
Chuck Hale

Pacer

rockyrock

Post by rockyrock » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:31 am

Eventually, KYNO stopped playing music and for a time was an all-sports radio station that carried the Fresno Grizzlies of the Pacific Coast League. From 1999 until August 30, 2008, the station was Spanish language and known as Radio Guadalupe, usually christian music and programming in that language.

Rodney

Post by Rodney » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:36 am

Since I left Fresno for good around 1970, I was not aware that KYNO became a sports station. It wasn't the first time. I may be the only one at LF who remembers the Fresno Cardinals, but KYNO broadcast their games (probably just the home games - most road games in 1952 were still read off a teletype---and how many of you are old enough to remember what that was?). The Fresno Cardinals' last season was 1957.

I don't have the photo that went with the attached letter. Marvin Milkes' 15 minutes of fame was being thoroughly hosed in Jim Bouton's classic "Ball Four." Milkes was the general manager of the Seattle Pilots in 1968, when Bouton was a struggling pitcher. Bouton wrote: "As soon as [Milkes] says, 'Now I want to be honest with you,' check your wallet."

BernardII

Post by BernardII » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:18 am

John Ostlund grew up in central California, listening to KFRC in San Francisco and KYNO in Fresno. He ran an advertising agency for years, then purchased KJWL-FM in Fresno. But it was always his dream to own KYNO, and when the opportunity came along in 2008, he took it. To celebrate the station's great history and introduce a return to english-language talk programming, he asked his Production Manager Jim Roberts to create a KYNO Tribute special, which was broadcast on September 1, 2008.

Hour 1 leads off with a 1968 aircheck of Johnny Scott (aka Bobby Ocean, who also appears in his 2008 personna), followed by an interview with John Ostlund, followed by a 1971 aircheck of his Boss Jock brother, Ron Sherman. Nick Anthony is featured before a montage of classic KYNO contest promotional announcements, including the KYNO Millionaire and the first part of an interview with 1963 PD Bill Drake.

bigguy

Post by bigguy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:27 pm

Found this site by accident. I lived in fresno in 1963, Went for one year to jr. high.I remember very well kmak and kyno radio. I remember very well the kyno millioneer.What an exciting time for top 40 radio.Never will forget those days in fresno.

mkw

Post by mkw » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 pm

You were either a KMAKer or a KNYO er. I was the former. Remember them playing " Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" by Gerry and the PaceKMAKers ?)

sjvalleydave

Post by sjvalleydave » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:54 pm

I also remember "James Holly By Golly"...I thought he was KMAK...