Roos-Atkins, a real Department Store

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Roos-Atkins, a real Department Store

Post by Lost Fresno » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:50 pm

Roos-Atkins on Fresno Street, now that was a real department store!
Attachments
roos.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Roos-Atkins, a real Department Store

Post by Lost Fresno » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:17 pm

This lovely lady has just left Roos-Atkins on the left.
Attachments
roos2.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Elizabeth

Re: Roos-Atkins, a real Department Store

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:34 am

I remember Roos-Atkins had a beauty salon upstairs, and when Selland Arena was first built and had a grand opening banquet, I was working for the Convention Bureau (Bob Schoettler was our boss) and we were all told to get in our finest duds and be there or else. I went to Roos-Atkins beauty salon and had them Do Something with my long hippie hair. As I recall (shudder) the salonista managed to create a giant pouf on top with a ton of shellac to hold it in place. I managed to keep that sucker intact for several days after the banquet...slept on my back, in fact. Roos-Atkins was the high end stylish place...my snooty Mom actually went shopping there when she visited from (where else?) Beverly Hills. p.s., the banquet food was super good, as catered by (who else?) Al Pardini.