Remembering Horn Photo and Fresno Camera Exchange

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Remembering Horn Photo and Fresno Camera Exchange

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:06 am

Long, long before digital, the camera store was king. In the 1960's, Horn Photo and the Fresno Camera Exchange were among the best stores to spend your hard earned money. Horn Photo was on Belmont close to Roding park. They had a great staff and were always super friendly. Not only that, but their custom was to slide you over a couple small packs of Chiclets gum every time you came in. My friend Dickie was lucky enough to have his Dad buy him an entire Hasselblad outfit there. In todays dollars, it would be like $20,000. I was a member of the Fresno Camera club so I often went to Horn Photo. Another big outfit was the Fresno Camera Exchange and although Horn was my go-to shop, the "Exchange" sure did a lot of advertising!
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Sun__Jul_28__1963_.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - July 28, 1963

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: Remembering Horn Photo and Fresno Camera Exchange

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:08 am

Here's a great photo of the Fresno Camera Exchange's marquee.
Attachments
camera_exchange.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:47 am

I made this fun little composite of the announcement that the Fresno Camera Exchange was moving from their 2037 Merced location to the almost brand new Fulton Mall. The ad on the right is from April 18, 1965 and the right ad appeared on May 13, 1965.

Although they lost their lease, the new premier location was quite an upgrade. I'm sure you will remember that the Fulton Mall was THE LOCATION to be at, back in the day.
Attachments
camera_combo.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Post by Lost Fresno » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Although Horn Photo didn't advertise near as much as the Camera Exchange, they had a really fun mascot/logo! Being located at 69 Belmont meant that I passed by their shop nightly while cruising the main. I would always tag along with my best friend during his many visits to Horn Photo (and not to just get the free Chiclets gum - although after a while I fully expected to get that free gum). Dickie always spent a lot of money there so that meant we were warmly welcomed each time we walked through the door. What I din't know at the time was the guys behind the counter were brothers, Rueben and John. I believe it was John who would mostly help us and and was an extremely nice guy.
Attachments
horn photo.jpg
Click to Enlarge / Fresno Bee - August 30, 1964