Country Boy Market with Saw Dust on the Floor

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
Scrooloose

Country Boy Market with Saw Dust on the Floor

Post by Scrooloose » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:28 pm

The old Country Boy market on Blackstone and ? The one that the irrigation canal ran behind and the two streets merged to become Blackstone some where between Olive and McKinnley (help anyone?) This was on the southeast corner of Fresno and McKinley. I used to live in the Carmen Cul de sac back when I was little. ( just south of McKinley and Fresno. ) I used to buy candy there. Back then you could walk to the store by yourself when you were 5. I always go. "Watch out and stay away from the ditch"
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Wed__Apr_24__1963_(1).jpg
Fresno Bee - Wed. April 24, 1963 - Country Boy ad

galactustrilogy

Re: Country Boy Market with Saw Dust on the Floor

Post by galactustrilogy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Photo from McLane High's yearbook from 1971, of the Country Boy Market on Cedar, near the school.
Attachments
1971 McLane High Yearbook Ad-Country Boy Market on Cedar.jpg

gebo1950

Re: Country Boy Market with Saw Dust on the Floor

Post by gebo1950 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:52 pm

The Country Boy Market at Fresno & McKinley was built by my parents in the early 1950's under the name Van's Market. Just a fruit stand and then a full service grocery store. It was sold to the Catalano Bros in 1957 when my father retired (first time). We lived on University walking distance to the store and went to Sacred Heart School when it was behind San Joaquin High School. Walked across that rickety wooden bridge every day! I remember when the area around the store flooded in the 1950's. My parents opened another Van's Market at Shields & Chestnut which was sold in 1963 when we moved to AZ. My parents built a golf course in Scottsdale (my Uncle owned Hank's Swank). The course was built on Indian land and leased for 25 years at which time the Indians refused to renew the lease and they tried to run it but sadly it closed and was demolished. The last time I went by the property they had it fenced off. That was in 2018. Friends tell me now there are huge office type buildings on it. I'm glad my parents didn't live to see it...they would have been devastated.