Ollenburgers Department Store

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
oldschool

Ollenburgers Department Store

Post by oldschool » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:18 am

I know the spelling is not right. Was one at Olive and First Street? I remember many years back around 1976, I was working at World Airways. I was an Aircraft Painter. For a country boy moving from Fresno I was a fish out of water! I met this older gentleman, we became friends. I fact we followed each other from company to company when we would get laid off.

I found out his name was Marvin Ollenburger. I believe he said his nephew owned a few of the stores. One of the nicest people I ever worked with. I was around 24 years old. He had to have been near 60! Let me tell you, this guy could paint! I am talking any kind of jet aircraft, DC 9, DC10, 747, you name it. I didn't matter if it was smooth or full of rivets. This guy could make an airplane look as cool as a custom painted car. Perfect as perfect could be. I lost contact with him around 1980. He is missed.

oldschool

Drakonyx

Re: Ollenburgers Department Store

Post by Drakonyx » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:39 am

I haven't been able to find any info on this place, but I remember it. When did it close down?

Drakonyx

Post by Drakonyx » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:13 am

I think it was actually Ollenberger's. It was on Tulare, near Roosevelt High School. I think the owner may have operated a store called Martinette's Lady's Faire in the Ashlan Park center.
Attachments
Fresno-Bee-Thu-Jun-12-1969.jpg
Click to Enlarge - Fresno Bee / Thur. June 12, 1969 - Ollenberger's ad

senpaidonna

Post by senpaidonna » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:42 am

There was also one in the Tower, where Fulton's Folly is/was, and one in Clovis, at Clovis and Shaw. My mom used to take me there a lot. Especially in the third grade when my friend Lisa came to school with a knee length, sheepskin lined denim coat. I had to have one! Where to get it? Ollenberger's, of course!

Amy

Post by Amy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:45 pm

I remember the Ollenburger's store in the Tower District. It was on Olive across from the old Lauck's Bakery. Ollenburger's was a full department store located in the Tower for decades. It had everything from clothes and shoes to underware and sewing supplies. It sold quality goods in every department. It had elegant show windows and they had nice clothes and great end of the season sales. Another nice store that used to be in The Tower District was Larry's, women's clothing, and Flowers by Marie, a pretty floral shop at the corner of Olive Ave. and Yosemite.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:25 pm

There were actually 3 Ollenberger's in Fresno. 1 was across the street from Roosevelt High School, 1 across from Lucky's Bakery, and a 3rd down the street from St. Agnes Hospital.

Lionsden

Post by Lionsden » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:42 am

Wasnt there an Ollenburger's in Clovis somewhere too, if Im not mistaken? I couldve sworn my ex-mother in law from way way back went there

MrsB1957

Post by MrsB1957 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:56 pm

My first job was at Ollenberger’s across from Roosevelt High School on Tulare Street. I started out as a gift wrapper then sales clerk. Paul Ollenberger was owner. “Pop” Ollenberger, Paul’s father and founder of the store also worked there. Jake Hagen worked on the men’s department. He helped my dad pick out all his suits, shirts and ties for work. It was a classy store and a great place to learn customer service skills I use to this day.

worldviewman

Post by worldviewman » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:05 am

Amy - thanks for mentioning Flowers by Marie! I had not remembered it was in the Tower district. My dad worked for PG&E, but having worked in a florist shop during college after WWII still dabbled in it. I don't remember how they connected, but Marie became a good friend of my family. My dad would collaborate with her on big jobs - particularly weddings. My brother and I spent many hours in the place as kids. For us, the best part was getting to hang out in the refrigeration room for the flowers - we loved the smell, and especially how cold it was. Our favorite place in the summer, along with the Lakeview pool with the tall diving platform.