Thriftimart

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
Drakonyx

Thriftimart

Post by Drakonyx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Anyone else remember a grocery store called Thriftimart on the southwest corner of Shaw and West? Not to be confused with Thrifty Drug and Discount Store, which was in the same strip mall, I think this was a minor chain that had other stores in Southern California, but this was the only one I know of in Fresno. Not sure when it closed, but it was a few decades ago.

oldschool

Re: Thriftimart

Post by oldschool » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:53 am

Was Thriftimart the store that took a long time to open? I remember something about a Union issue. Not sure. They finally did open. It was a nice store. Was Pardini's out there too? Those were the good old days.

oldschool

Drakonyx

Post by Drakonyx » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:44 am

I honestly don't remember that controversy. I was pretty young at the time. I think there is a Party City there now. Pardini's is a little west of there.

thebattyfold

Post by thebattyfold » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:23 pm

I loved that Thift-T-Mart. Mom used to shop there. The neighbors (who had a better income) shopped next door at Alpha Beta. Thrift-T-Mart used to carry the Iris soft drinks and other “store brands”. When The Mart folded, my understanding is that they were absorbed by Smart & Final. I don’t recall S&F taking over that location though.

A few of my best buddies lived in the neighborhood behind these stores. There was a giant, empty field between the two forever. In the mid-eighties, we would sneak out at night, cross through the field and head up to the 7-Eleven on the NE side of Shaw and West. I think both grocery stores were defunct by then.

Osandad

Post by Osandad » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:42 pm

Wasn’t it next to Montgomery Ward?