Cameron's Toys

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
Drakonyx

Cameron's Toys

Post by Drakonyx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Does anyone remember a place called Cameron's Toys? I remember a reference from an old local TV commercial that also mentioned Arthur's, but I never knew where Cameron's was.

Drakonyx

Re: Cameron's Toys

Post by Drakonyx » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:51 pm

I actually found an old ad and photo of this place. I guess it was downtown. I have no idea when it opened or closed, though.

JWfresno

Post by JWfresno » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:38 am

I think Cameron Toys was just west of the Bank of America on Tulare Street. I recall going in there in the late 60's. The place looked tired.

Justmemories

Post by Justmemories » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:32 am

You're right. Cameron Toy store was located just west of the old B of A building. I remember the interior being tired as well with chipped paint on the walls.
Attachments
The_Fresno_Bee_The_Republican_Tue__Oct_21__1952_.jpg
The Fresno Bee - Oct. 21, 1952 - Click to Enlarge

DonOboevet

Post by DonOboevet » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:30 pm

My Grandmother had an insurance business in Fresno originally called Drenth and Drenth. As a child in the 1959's &'60's we traveled to Fresno most summers. If we were good, we got to pick a toy. I still have my Matchbox by Lesney Foden 8-axle Sugar Container truck, with $0.49 Cameron's price tag. Don"t see a way to post a picture.

Richard Frey

Post by Richard Frey » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:19 pm

The first Cameron's Toy Store was located on Fulton Street just south of the J.C. Penny store. Later a second store was opened in the Tower District on Olive just west of Broadway and the Carnation Ice Cream Parlor. I don't know if this store in the Tower District was only open for the Christmas sale or if it stayed open for several years.