Village Foodland

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
Drakonyx

Village Foodland

Post by Drakonyx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:28 pm

This was THE grocery store in the late 60s. I remember my parents always shopped there. I hate grocery shopping, but this place had a certain ambience. Last I knew, it had been converted into a Longs Drugs (probably now a CVS/pharmacy), which retained at least some of its original charm. There were also a few other Foodlands, if I remember correctly, including one near Hoover High.

Re: Village Foodland

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:02 pm

There were quite a few Foodlands. Besides Fig Garden there was Shields & West, Belmont & Chestnut, Peach & Belmont, First & Barstow, Bullard & Palm, Bullard & Marks, First & Herndon and Kerman. There might have been a few more that I didn't get...

Left

Post by Left » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:51 pm

The name of the grocery store in Fig Garden Village --was CHRISTIANSEN'S FOODWORLD. At least that was its name when it went out of business and the location became Longs. I used to live on the Circle--in an apartment on the street just east of FGV and could walk over to Foodworld to shop. Big bummer when it closed. Whole Foods is a decent replacement.

wimetime

Post by wimetime » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:07 pm

It was Christiansen's before it closed, but it had at least a couple of names before that.

MEWhite

Post by MEWhite » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:09 pm

Did the Drillings own Foodland in Fig Garden?

Maria465

Post by Maria465 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:10 pm

Hi Guys,
Fond memories flood back thinking about this iconic grocery store from the late '60s. My parents frequented it, and despite my dislike for grocery shopping, its unique ambience made the experience special. Sadly, it transformed into a Longs Drugs, possibly CVS/pharmacy, but I hope it preserved some of its original charm. Other Foodlands, including one near Hoover High, added to the nostalgia.

Maria465

Post by Maria465 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:20 am

Hi Guys,
Fond memories flood back thinking about this iconic grocery store from the late '60s. My parents frequented it, and despite my dislike for grocery shopping, its unique ambience made the experience special. Sadly, it transformed into a Longs Drugs, possibly CVS/pharmacy, but I hope it preserved some of its original charm. Other Foodlands, including one near Hoover High, added to the nostalgia.Nrega Job Card List