Upstart Crow Book Store

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
bedrock

Upstart Crow Book Store

Post by bedrock » Wed May 01, 2013 8:39 pm

I used to sort of peruse the books and drink cappuccino's and listen to the folkster balladeers here. What about Rhodes deparment store? Or the hot tub place on Blackstone around Barstow? I think....

Drakonyx

Re: upstart crow

Post by Drakonyx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:51 pm

I remember Rhodes, which later became Liberty House, if I remember correctly. Red Robin took over the Upstart Crow spot. What a great place to hang out and look at books! I remember them having a string quartet playing there at one point. They still have one in San Diego, at Seaport Village. There's a store by that name in the L.A. area, but it has nothing to do with books or coffee - it's a lame trendy store.

Suz

Post by Suz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:04 pm

I loved the Upstart Crow and City Cafe! And Cabbages and Kings! Oh...and Spoons. There used to be great import record store by The Grape Tray too - can't remember the name. If all those places were still there I might consider moving back :)

jdcomegys

Post by jdcomegys » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:07 am

Upstart Crow was good. We all trooped there after first Cafe Midi closed in the tower District, and then Cafe Midi IIeme closed in Fig Garden (sort of) It didn't have Mort or lime rickeys, but we were all there.

Jeff1960

Re: Upstart Crow Book Store

Post by Jeff1960 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:01 pm

Upstart Crow was a great place. Ate there many times, bought a few books too. I think the Hot tub place on Blackstone and Barstow was called "Snuggle Tubs". I Knew a girl who worked there.

dclaet

Post by dclaet » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:49 pm

Upstart Crow, back in the late seventies, was the place my best friend Jeri and I went for coffee and long talks. The Mocha Cappuchinos were delicious. They were served in these tall, thick clear glass goblet's, with a cinnamon stick to swirl the whipped cream around. It was such a calm and relaxing place to visit with friends. Those were great times.

Elizabird

Post by Elizabird » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Oh I am so glad someone else remembers Cafe Midi! The Upstart Crow was a wannabe intellectual playground for what was left of the poetry-readin' and deep-thinkin' gang from the hipster kulchur with Midi memories. The Midi's Mort was my hero...he of the ironic face and deep sarcastic take on all us little poets. His hamburgers were superb...one of those and a limeade would fit you for the entire day or nite. The Midi was the very first joint I hung out in when we moved to Fresno in 1966, and became a gathering point for teachers from City college and displaced persons from around the state who came from old-line coffee house kulchur. Gollydang, we were SO deep and intense and poetical! I miss the Me of Yesteryore...as do we all.

Janes Witt

Post by Janes Witt » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:32 am

Met Jerry Hicks in 1976 at Fresno Ustart Crow..
Had very interesting conversation..
RIP: Jerry

Moniq

Post by Moniq » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:34 am

I remember Cafe Midi! It was in Fig Garden Village if I recall correctly. All the college crowd used to hang out there and play chess. Drinkin' fancy coffee drinks. I remember they had the best Chef Salads.