The Free Market on M and Merced

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
FARMERMIKE

The Free Market on M and Merced

Post by FARMERMIKE » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:43 pm

Just wondering if anyone remembers the The Free Market. located at M and Merced Street. It's where the local farmers would come on Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturdays to sell the Freshest Produce and Fruit you could find. My family ran it from 1953-1998 until the State of California decided to build office space there. Prior to that it was located at Fresno and L St. It originated in the Courthouse Park at the turn of the century.

After closing the M and Merced St location it was moved next to San Francisco Floral. Mom and Dad retired in 1999. Downtown Fresno holds many memories for me and my family. Just wonder if any one out there remembers?

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: The Free Market

Post by Lost Fresno » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks for the memory farmermike. I don't remember your family's market, but my Dad worked for Mayfair Market at the original Farmers Market on Divisadero, which I know is not the same thing - but still near your area. And when I attempt to do searches on Fresno's Farmers Markets, I keep getting hits for the new one in the last 10 years. Which being a old Fresno researcher - does not interest me. Your family's markets does! I'm sure reader here would love to learn more and read about your Family's experiences. Just remember that most folks are reading but not posting. So your memories are being read and appreciated, even though you might not see many replies. Please tell us more.