Asher Brothers Shoes

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
steve4bike

Asher Brothers Shoes

Post by steve4bike » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:43 am

On Van Ness downtown, across from the old Court House. Wood floors. Dad would always tell us we would grow out of the new shoes before we got to the front door.

oldschool

Re: Asher Brothers Shoes

Post by oldschool » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:50 pm

I remember that store well. I even purchased some shoes from them before I moved from Fresno. That was a great store. Now we have nothing but big box stores that sell shoes that fall apart. I also went to Flagg Brothers a few times too. Fulton was great. Thanks for sharing.

old school

cgenito

Post by cgenito » Thu May 09, 2013 10:40 am

I worked at the Asher Bros store on First and Shaw for almost 10 years. (one of my first jobs) I can still remember a few of the sales guys smoking in the break room. Ate lunch at the Carnation restaurant across the parking lot. There was a large Safeway market at the end.

flwbdw

Post by flwbdw » Thu May 09, 2013 8:23 pm

oldschool

Thanks for the Flagg Bros. shoe memory. I wore them in the sixties. They didn't last very long but boy they looked great when new. Wasn't it Prices on Fulton that carried them?

Linkslady

Post by Linkslady » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:11 pm

On Van Ness downtown.
Always got saddle oxfords when school started & blisters for the first week! Ouch - that memory floods back!