The End of the Fulton mall

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
tom

The End of the Fulton mall

Post by tom » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Just about everything about the place in the late 60s and early 70s. the hustle and bustle back then families getting dressed up to go. Christmas time seemed to be the best back then, all things were kept up back then. As a kid though teds 5 and dime was one of my favorites along with the import shop.

FresnoBeach

Re: Fulton mall

Post by FresnoBeach » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:14 am

The way things seem to be going the Fulton Mall will be a lost Fresno place, no longer as a car free pedestrian walking mall. I remember the times when I could freely ride my bike down the mall with my only worry of running in to a pedestrian, but then i would just cruise, now I ride down what is left it's just a street with cars and all the 50 year old trees that once stood are gone replaced by a bunch of tiny unshading trees that will take another life time to give any shade. Those cars on what we call now Fulton Street are just getting in the way, you can't park all the great spots in front of the shops are taken, and those crazy kids driving by throwing stuff at people who are on the park benches has become a problem. Oh how I wish for the days on Fulton as it was seen in the old photos when it was a mall. All the open art that was there is gone moved to storage and forgotten or sold away.

Fresno: A City Reborn 1968

FresnoBeach

Re: Fulton mall

Post by FresnoBeach » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:03 pm

The City of Fresno has proven that it does not care about our past and only about $$$$. The Fulton Mall is now a Lost Fresno, this was approved by a 5-2 vote:

Approving Plan Amendment No. A-13-008 to:
i. Amend the 2025 Fresno General Plan Land Use Element to remove the Open Space/Pedestrian Mall land use designation of the Fulton Mall;
ii. Amend the Circulation Element to designate the portions of Fulton Street, Kern Street, Mariposa Street, and Merced Street (collectively known as the Fulton Mall) to the local street designation. Removal of references to the Fulton Mall in the code and removal of Fulton Mall from Pedestrian Mall No. 1