Anyone remember Maruko's Cyclery?

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
billmac

Anyone remember Maruko's Cyclery?

Post by billmac » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:03 am

Back in the mid 1960's, was Maruko's cyclery located on F street in China town. I don't remember exactly where but I think it was on the southside of the street close to Fresno St. Later Mr. Maruko opened a new much bigger location on Belmont St, I believe. Does anyone what became of Mr. Maruko and the address of his businesses. In the mid 1960's little Honda motorcycles were very popular. As I recall, Maruko's was the only dealer until later Clauson's on Blackstone started selling Honda's. I use to ride my little honda 50 over to Maruko's and he would help this teenager fix his little motorcycle. One motorcycle I wanted but could never afford was the Honda CT90. Today I have two of them. For the past 40 years, I have lived in Texas and my little Hondas remind me of the days gone by. Just curious of what happened with Maruko's.
Attachments
Honda CT90.jpg

sjvalleydave

Re: Anyone remember Maruko's Cyclery?

Post by sjvalleydave » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:30 pm

I went down Belmont the other day past where Maruko's was and the building is broken up into 2-3 small Hmong/Asian food markets...No way to know that a Honda dealership was ever there..

LisaMarquise

Post by LisaMarquise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:27 pm

I do, and I went to HS with a kid named Warren Maruko...wonder if he was related...

pated53

Post by pated53 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks for the interest and comments about my father's store, Maruko Cyclery. The original store was located at 947 F Street until WWII. The store relocated and reopened after the war, around 1947, at 1153 F Street. The store had bicycles, sporting and hunting goods, live bait, etc.. My father started selling Honda motorcycles in the early '60's. He moved the business to 2848 E. Belmont in 1969. In 1988 he sold the business and it became Fresno Honda. He then sold the building in 1990. My dad is still active and enjoying his retirement.

FARMERMIKE

Post by FARMERMIKE » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:27 pm

I remember Maruko's Cyclery on Belmont Ave. For many years my family purchased Hondas from the Maruko Family. A friend of mine from highschool was a mechanic in their shop for a few years

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:50 am

Thanks for the update on the business. Glad to hear Mr. Maruko is active and enjoying his retirement. He was always nice to this teenager, who he knew, had limited resources.

thebattyfold

Post by thebattyfold » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:40 pm

Hello and thank you for posting here (so long ago)! I too am curious about your family, as I had a phenomenal class taught by one Mr. Maruko. I believe his first name is/was Eiji, as I can visualize the “xeroxed” Guitar 101 bound booklet that we used for his class. That was at Fresno City College in 1990. Mr. Maruko was an amazing and precise guitar teacher, and I respected him very much. I gather there is a kinship, but please let us know!

galactustrilogy

Post by galactustrilogy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:09 pm

Eiji ("A-gee") Maruko is still around. I talked with him a few months ago. He's slowed down quite a bit, however. It was his father, Sanichi ("Sah-knee-chee"), who started Maruko Cyclery in Fresno's Chinatown.