The Windmill atop old Farmers Market on Divisadero

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
windmillzcrazy

The Windmill atop old Farmers Market on Divisadero

Post by windmillzcrazy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 am

Hey as a kid in the 60's, I was fascinated by the Windmill the stood above a restaurant at the old Framers Market. Not the downtown Farmers Market that everyone attends today but an old one that was torn down some time ago. It was located on Divisadero near Tulare I think. The Windmill was quite a landmark in the area. I have heard that the original windmill was saved and that it now resides on top of another building somewhere in Fresno. Does anybody know where?
Attachments
1948-Farmers-Market-Fresno.jpg

SuzyA

Re: The Windmill atop old Farmers Market on Divisadero

Post by SuzyA » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:08 am

This from a December 2009 Fresno Bee article: "The windmill now serves as a backdrop to The Academy, the men's rehabilitation program of the Rescue Mission," Morgan wrote.Ted Morgan, a staff member at the Fresno Rescue Mission, wrote with more information about the windmill that once stood on the roof above the Iran restaurant at the market. "It was given to the Rev. Jim Taylor, former director of the Rescue Mission.

It was fixed up, restored and repainted and today it is a favorite background for photos." The Address is 310 G Street Fresno CA 93706 and the Windmill stands at the back of the parking lot. You can Google the address to see map and view a satellite view. I just now myself viewed it on Google map address search and it looks like it's still there.
Attachments
fresno-windmill.jpg

Lost Fresno
Site Admin

Re: The Windmill atop old Farmers Market on Divisadero

Post by Lost Fresno » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:28 pm

I found this old postcard from back when the Farmers Market was first built, but I can't find any windmill. It's cool to see how they arranged the outdoor court area but I wonder when iconic windmill got installed? To tell the truth, I thought it had always been there.
Attachments
farmers market.JPG
farmers market.JPG (31 KiB) Viewed 7538 times