Sprouse-Reitz Nickel and Dime store

~
Do you remember the Country Boys Market with its wooden floors? Walter Smiths was the place to go for clothes on the Fulton Mall. Penny Candy had great blacklight posters and don't forget Whitie's Pet Store on Blackstone. What vintage retail do you remember growing up in Fresno?
~
fresnoborn

Sprouse-Reitz Nickel and Dime store

Post by fresnoborn » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:17 pm

Ahhhh the memories of my youth walking to Cedar and Shields to spend endless hours checking out the new stuff at Sprouse Ritz. Hell, you could buy things for 10 cents! Of course there were many more things there that cost a LOT more money which a 10 year old in 1959 didn't have. But there WAS hope that you could find something that you couldn't live without. The weekly allowance was 25 cents which seemed fair enough. Cleaning out the garage (sweeping) once a week was a requirement but the big money only came to those that worked hard.

As I remember, the store had many large but short tables that much brick-a-brack was spread out on. And everywhere in the air was the smell of plastic, a new thing back then. My only dismay was that an entire quarter of the store had given over to fabric supplies. The five and dime store was common in Fresno and there were many chains. But Sprouse-Ritz had the name by gosh. Nobody was ever able to explain to me what a Sprouse was but I was familiar with a Ritz.
Attachments
spouse reitz fresno.jpg
spouse reitz fresno.jpg (48.34 KiB) Viewed 11359 times

LEP

Re: Sprouse-Reitz Nickel and Dime store

Post by LEP » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:21 pm

My sister used to work there in the mid 70s, and one summer weekend I worked temporarily during the summer to help with inventory. I remember it was very hard work for a 13-14 yr old, and I complained alot. The manager of the store at that time, I think his name was Jim, was also my softball coach that summer for a "miss softball america" team.
Attachments
Sprouse Ritz.jpg

Klassik57

Re: Sprouse-Reitz Nickel and Dime store

Post by Klassik57 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:47 am

It was right next door to Purity Market! That's the area I grew up in. Foster's Freeze was in the same shopping center.